Help With Fertilizing Japanese Maple In A Pot

I have four foot Seiryu in its second year in a five gallon clay pot in the Seattle area.

It browned up in the sun, and so I have moved it to shade, with a board to protect the pot from the sun, and it is greening up nicely now, but still no new growth yet.

I plan to move it to a bigger pot this winter.

People say these trees dont need much fertilizer, but I wonder if a little might help at this point?

If so what sort of fertilizer?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Reply to
Dwight

Good question. Maybe microelements.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

You can do more harm than good by overfertilizing, especially a potted plant. Since it is outdoors, you can feed it an organic fertilizer such as fish emulsion, cow-manure tea, or Shultz fertilizer to the water. My Jap Maple is recovering from the severe spring frost die-off, plus a drastic pruning of dead branches--although in bad shape it is recovering slowly. A general guideline is to back off fertilizing when a plant is in stress. Deciduous trees are best fed late fall through early spring. Watch for signs of insect/mite damage, use a magnifying glass.

Reply to
Phisherman

There is a big difference between fertilizing with nitrogen verses micro-elements.