little planting pad and amaryllis

What is everyone's opinion on that pad of compressed planting mix that comes with some amaryllis bulbs? I used it for some of mine, and they do not seem happy. (sometimes the leaves just droop down.) Should I take them out and put the in real potting soil? Thank you, Jackie

Reply to
J. Davidson

Yes. That stuff is only good to keep down shipping weight. I've had some of my amaryllis bulbs for over 20 years. As the bulb gets bigger you'll have to repot if you keep them for any length of time. Don't replant to a pot much more than about an inch or two larger than the bulb is around. I planted 5 bulbs in one pot leaving about an inch between the bulbs and an inch to the edge of the pot just to see if that would work, it did. They were pretty magnificent on my coffee table this Christmas. I just use a very good quality potting mix. I stick them in the back room after they bloom, cut the stem down, keep them lightly watered and put them outside about May. I foliar feed them once a week during the summer, quit watering and feeding about the first of August. The leaves have pretty much died down when I bring them in just as the nights are getting really cold. I put them in a closet and forget about them until Halloween. If I am going to repot this is when I do it. Then I put them near windows and start watering.....Mine start blooming about Christmas and on through March, depending on what kind they are. I repot mine about every 2-3 years...or longer. They like to be snug.

A long ago neighbor gave me my first amaryllis and told me how to take care of it. I've never done much reading about it since his advise seems to work fine for me. I have over 2 dozen now.

Good Luck! Val

Reply to
Val

Amaryllis belladonna requires a well-draining potting mix. Hippeastrum requires a rich potting mix. My do-it-yourself mix is both. See my .

For the differences between A. belladonna (commonly called 'Naked Lady') and Hippeastrum (commonly called 'Amaryllis '), see my . Although related, their cultural requirements are somewhat different.

Reply to
David E. Ross