Leading the Search for a Self-Reliant Bloom (Roses)

A good read.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Unfortunately, the modern roses cited in the article generally have poor scent. This is a result of trying to develop a universal rose.

At one time, growers (mostly amateur hobbyists) would develop roses for their local areas. The article cited black spot, which does not appear where I live; but rust and mildew are too common here. Unlike the twice-a-year show cited in the article, Roses here bloom and rest and bloom and rest again and again from April until pruned in December or January. (I often cut a bouquet for my wife while pruning.) On the other hand, many of our roses are not as hardy as those in the New York Botanical Garden; they don't have to be as hardy here. Many of my roses are quite fragrant.

Today, however, roses are being developed by commercial growers for planting from San Diego to Boston, from Seattle to Miami. Color, disease resistance (even resistance to diseases that are localized), hardiness, plant vigor, and duration of bloom period all have a priority over perfume.

By the way, thank you for bracketing the article's URI with < and >. As you can see from my quote of your original message, the URI was broken into two lines and could not be used as a link with a single click. Your bracketing meant that I could easily piece it back together.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Whatever...I only know that last few years -- more than a few!! -- -I have had a helluva time buying new roses. Stick my nose in every one; score maybe one faint scent out of dozens. Tfui!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson