Kids gardening

There are 2 reasons for this post... 1: so I can brag on my little girl, and 2: to get other people to brag on their kids, too...

My 6 year old daughter has a little garden "all her own"... she started the seeds, helped plant the seedlings, and she waters them on a semi-regular basis...

She got to see her first flower in her garden today - one of the oriental peas flowered - and is already producing a pod... she is so excited I had to show her a "full grown pea pod" to keep her from picking and eating it right then... She is very excited!!

Tony

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
BearDrummer

"BearDrummer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

my 4.75 year old is on his 2nd year of 'his own' gardening. we're in NH, so he only has lettuce out in the garden, but he has several tomatoes & peppers (both hot & sweet), plus watermelon & pumpkins started under lights indoors.he also has moonflowers, bells of Ireland, hollyhocks & four o'clocks under the lights (i had to go look. i don't always remember what he's started). we buy marigolds to plant with the basil & tomatoes & he'll probably start nasturtiums outside after last frost date (2 more weeks). he's asked me to help him build a bean teepee & he got ahold of my Making Bentwood Trellises (Jim Long) book, so he has a few projects in there picked out, including a trellis for the moonflowers. oh yeah, he has 4 flats of pansies ready to go out too... and

2 windowboxes on the enclosed porch, one with beets & one carrots. he's definately been bitten by the garden bug :) lee
Reply to
enigma

My kids don't have their own garden - yet - but are growing grass seed in egg shells with faces drawn on them. The "egg heads" are a really cute project, especially for young kids or urbanites with no gardening area and the grass ends up looking like hair.

Jacqui

Reply to
axemanchris

WOW! Now that's a kid with a green thumb!

Reply to
Natty Dread

my 4 year old son has a pot with tomatos and garlic. he helps me all over the yard and can point out a hosta or a pansy but that's about it because that's all we have!! he helped build a 8'x6' trellis with me too. my 2 year old daughter is happy to sit in a dirt pile and scoop dirt on her lap LOL

Oh yeah - my son also runs around the yard screaming "WEEDS!!! WEEDS!!!" and pretends they are chasing him - LOL

Reply to
nanner

"Natty Dread" wrote in news:X6Pge.351280$R24.239713@fe05!news.easynews.com:

yeah, if he'd get weeding down i'd just retire ;) he tends to be very passionate about his interests. he does get a bit impatient waiting for seeds to sprout (which makes indoor seed starting more attractive actually. things come up faster). lee

Reply to
enigma

could we get a picture of these eggheads? They sound interesting...

Reply to
BearDrummer

The scarey thing is, if I told my daughter about this, she would do the same thing... and her little brother would become the weeds..... both of them grow like weeds....

Reply to
BearDrummer