Is my tree dying?

Hi,

I transplanted a small (5 feet high) redbud the other day (4 days ago) and have been watering it well.

There was some trouble extracting it from its former location (the dirt around the rootball starting coming apart) and I now believe I damaged the roots.

The leaves on the end of the branches are shriveling and some have dried up completely.

Is this normal?

To me it's an indication that the tree is not taking up water.

Either way I guess I'll just have to wait until next spring and see if it's alive but just wondering if there is anything that can be done now that could help it.

Should I try fertilizing it?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I live in Zone 5b.

-Kevin

Reply to
Toonartist

Two questions you should answer first are:

  1. Exactly what type of tree is it?

  1. Exactly where are you located on the planet? BTW, giving the zone isn't good enough.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Sorry for the confusion.

As I said, it's a redbud (I believe its botanical name is ceris canadensis ... but I don't know any more info than that) and I live in coastal NH, USA.

Thanks.

Reply to
Toonartist

Don't fertilize a stressed plant. Some foliage loss is common with a transplant. Keep watering it, though -- you need to really soak it. Hope it recovers!

Reply to
pelirojaroja

Thanks all for the advice. I guess I'll just sit and wait until spring.

Reply to
Toonartist

I have always used "miracle grow" on transplanted plants and it is recommended for transplanting..... I would think that a fertilizer that promotes root growth (not leaf or flower ) would be a good thing in this case. DKat

Reply to
dkat

Absolutely do NOT fertilize! Whilst this is an extreme reaction of transplant shock; the tree may still be quite all right. Keep watering, and give it some time. [This, BTW, is one of the reasons that it's generally better to move stuff when it's dormant.]

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

I meant this as a question and it doesn't read as such on second reading... Can someone tell me why not to use miracle grow on transplanted trees?

Reply to
dkat