My lawn is going patchy!!

My first post. Used to have a really nice green lawn but started to get a bit patch:

[image:
ideas what's wrong? It tarted off one patch but it's starting to spread. I water and feed the lawn on a regular basis
Reply to
SteveC

Turf insects like sod webworms can do this.

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
David Fogg

Nothing in that picture suggests that it's likely to be Red Thread to me. They are just small dead areas of turf which could be do to a long list of possibilities. Additionally, I don't know where the OP is located, but RT tends to occur at cooler temps, usually spring and fall. Also, it usually doesn't kill the grass, it justs effects the tips and the rest of the plant lives and recovers.

It's easy to identify, because it gets it's name from the fact that the fungus exhibits as the ends of the blades shriveling up into what look like red threads.

The treatment being a systemic

A general fungicide could be effective against a lot of fungus diseases, so that could work even without identifying it. But it could also be insects.

Another thing is what are the watering and fertilizing practices? It should be watered deep and only a couple times a week when it needs it. Water so that the watering finishes around dawn. That way you minimize evaporation loss and leave the lawn wet for the shortest amount of time.

Worse thing for most diseases is to leave it wet overnight, over watering, fertilizing dooring higher summer temps.

Reply to
trader4