Indoor Eggplant Blooms Falling Off

Hi All...

This year, I've taken it upon myself to try an experiment with growing some veggies indoors along with my steady herb garden. I'm in Omaha Nebraska which is roughly a zone 5. I've got some good southern windows as well as supplemental lighting and have had excellent results with some herbs, lettuce and some varieties of chiles. In the fall, I tried some other things including some heirloom tomatoes and some Kemer eggplant which is a slender variety from Turkey. Anyway, the plants themselves are extremely healthy. Huge green leaves and each eggplant stands about 2 feet tall. They have been sprouting blooms for about the past 6 weeks. But, what happens is that the bloom stays for a few days and then shrivels up and falls off the plant. Does anyone know why this is occurring? Do these blooms need some type of special treatment? Do I need to pollinate them by hand somehow? If anyone has any clues as to why this is happening, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Charette

That's right Dandy Dan.

In the absence of a pollinator you will need to pollinate the flowers by hand. Familiarize yourself with basic floral biology and you will know what to do to successfully pollinate the flowers.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....