Identifying a plant

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so first off a big hello:) I've stated to do some work on my garden at my new flat and have noticed that my borders are over grown with a plant that I need to identify. It's about 8" high and the stem looks a bit like a daffodil but thinner with a richer green colour plus a very small bulb, it also gives off a smell like garlic when cut?

Any ideas??

Thanks, Centurion.

Reply to
Centurion

Wild garlic?

Reply to
Steve Peek

Onion grass.

Reply to
Dan Espen

WoW What a friendly group 31 views and not even a "hello" :(

Reply to
Centurion

A photo would help identify your plant. DO NOT attach a photo to your reply; instead, upload it to a Web site for photos.

In the meantime, it might be society garlic (Tulbaghia violacea), which has small, lavender flowers that are edible (interesting in salads).

Reply to
David E. Ross

8 inches is as high as it ever gets or 8 inches is how high it is now?

has it flowered yet?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

This will only be a guess without a photo. Try garlic chives.

David Hare-Scott

You would be referring to garden banter. Many of the replies you get will not be from there but from a Usenet group rec.gardens that garden banter links to.

I cannot speak for the banterers but on Usenet it may take a little while to be warmly accepted. Most people are cautious because some people are crazy/rude/nasty/deceitful/brainless/wasters. It is sad that you have to show you are not one of those not the other way around. This is a poor reflection on humanity overall that when given the shield of anonymity a significant minority will behave badly in social interactions but that is how it is.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

When asking questions here, it's a good idea to give some notion of where you are in the world (I'm in NW Oregon, for instance), and if possible, provide photos of the plants, preferably in flower if you're asking for ids.

You may have an Allium species, or something like Tulbaghia violacea, "society garlic":

Kay Lancaster

DAvid, since you are responding, I presume that you are not involved with the flooding.

Reply to
Billy

I have bozo-binned about 20 in the last two weeks so I don't see too much of it. The OP has the benefit of the doubt for now.

David Hare-Scott

If you want a friend, get a dog.

Did you drown them first?

Reply to
Billy

Know That I Know What I Know

Reply to
Gertrude

When they show some basic understanding of the usenet community that they have hijacked they might be accepted

Reply to
Garrapata