Identify Plant

Hi - I have a patch of this unidentified plant (image link below) growing in a flower bed - we bougth the home so I don't know if it was planted there or not. Can someone help with an ID? thanks

mwieder

Its a nasty invasive weed masquerading as an aromatic ornamental herb, Artemisia vulgaris, a.k.a. "mugwort" or "wormwood".

It spreads rapidly from underground stolons. Dig it out and keep an eye open for it sprouting from the ground.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

The leaves look quite similair, but I can't find a picture of Artemisia vulgaris with the small starts along the main branch like this has; If someone else wouldn't mind weighing in before I pull them all up I'd appreciate it!

Reply to
mwieder

from typical mums (paler and more incised). Taller and a bit ganglier. (The tag should be out in the garage, but the garage was 'cleaned' since and I'm not sure I could find it.

Is the foliage scented?

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

What an unappreciative jerk. Who are you to question?

The link I gave you had hundreds of pix. Look again, dummy.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Reply to
mwieder

The "little stubble" really isn't significant for identification.

You didn't look very hard. Here's a close-up of a leafy stem showing the axillary leaflets. Happy now? As the plant matures they elongate into branches.

have the weed growing in my yard and have first hand knowledge of what it looks like. If you actually looked at the pix in the links, you would have seen it does not have attractive flowers. Its not a Chrysanthemum, babe. The superficial resemblance of the foliage is how the weed gets a foothold into most gardens.

For ideal identification, the plant should be in bloom and that would remove any doubt.

Several people have asked you if the plant is aromatic and you still have not answered.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Oh yeah? Sit on it, Potsy!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

I shoud also add that it has not flowered yet so I don't know if it will this year and what colours and shapes it will produce!!

MFNB

It's a Cleome or spider flower. a lovely annual plant which produces lovely spikey usually pink flowers that are scented. Is a nice 'weed' to come up and well worth keeping.

(oh, and don't let anyone try to tell you it's cannibis :-D)

'Cleome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'

Drobium

WOW ! Thankyou very much !! - I've had several people puzzled over this plant - It certainly looks at interesting flower once it starts!

Cannabis was mentioned a few times !! - I was ready to dig it up... well.. maybe ;-) he he

MFNB

I had a young teen trying to tell me I was growing pot when he saw my Cleome. It was funny, and I had a helluva time convincing him he was wrong. Jeez, I could have had cops crawling all over the place if he'd started telling people I was growing weed. I love cleome, it needs no special treatment and mine often reseeds itself, altho I would prefer it do it in the garden and not in the grass. I was transplanting little seedlings with a spoon from the grass into the garden. Nan in DE

Reply to
Nanzi