Huge hanging petunia care?

So I was at my local nursery today looking for sweet 100 tomato plants when I came across a huge hanging petunia - gotta be three feet across. $29.95 later it's hanging by my front door and I'll get the tomato plants tomorrow.

It's absolutely gorgeous with lots of dark violet flowers and I'd like to keep it that way. The hanging pot that it's in is plastic. Any hints on care for something like this? Water it once a day? Fertilizer? I'm located about forty miles north of New York City in Zone 5.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Ed Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Once a day seems reasonable in hot weather, maybe even twice a day. You just have to be vigilant until you get to know the plant's needs. Pinch out spent blossoms for constant reblooming. In terms of fertilizer, you could water with any reasonable liquid fertilizer (Peter's 20-20-20, Miracle-gro, fish emulsion, etc.) a couple of times during the growing season and it should be fine.

Reply to
David Bockman

Betcha it was grown with drip irrigation on continuous, very dilute fertilizer. My big hanging baskets get dilute water soluble fertilizer once a week, and are hooked to my drip irrigation system to keep the soil constantly moist. Seems to work well out here with our dry, dry summers in the PNW. My timer is set for watering late morning and early evening now. Later in the summer, I'll add a mid afternoon watering to the program to compensate for the larger sizes (and greater transpiration) of the plants, and the greater heat load.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster