How to get rid of the wax on apples?

"Mr. Natural-Health" expounded:

Trolling, trolling, over the bounding maine.........

Reply to
Ann

"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Que mierda....

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You guys don't write my pay check.

Most of your guys don't have a clue about how do research on the WEB. And, this issue is on the bottom of the list of issues that I am interested in writing about.

Beggars are NOT in a position to complain about anything.

Just my opinion, but I am NEVER wrong.

Reply to
Mr. Natural-Health

"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

Good! Your digested wax theory is worthy of no further attention.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

And, your paranoida about a NON-issue called wax on apples is worthy of no further attention on my part.

Prove to me, that the wax added to apples raises any more health issues than the pesticides apple trees naturally produce to fight off pests the natural way.

You guys are simply morons.

Just thought that you might want to know.

Ames BN, Profet M, Gold LS. Dietary pesticides (99.99% all natural). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990 Oct;87(19):7777-81. PMID: 2217210

Mr. Natural-Health

"Apples produce their own natural wax coating during growth. This helps them retain moisture after picking. However, many packers wash picked apples with a solvent detergent to remove dirt and pesticide residues that accumulate during growth. This also removes the apple's natural wax coating, leaving the apple susceptible to loss of moisture and eating quality.

To retard this chain of events, many packers coat washed apples with a commercial wax such as Carnauba. Carnauba is an inert product derived from the leaves and buds of the Brazilian wax palm. It's been used in foods since 1900 and, according to FDA's Division of Toxicology, causes no ill effects at levels used."

"Whether natural or applied, wax may whiten on the surface of fruits or vegetables if they have been subjected to excessive heat and/or excessive moisture. This whitening or chalky appearance is similar to that of a candy bar when you place it in the freezer.

Research has shown that apple waxing prevents moisture loss, enhances firmness retention and slows down the apple respiration rate.

In the most recent study conducted at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service Laboratory in Wenatchee, Wash., Red Delicious apples from Controlled Atmosphere (CA) storage were held at room temperature for eight days (duplicating how apples are treated in grocery stores). The unwaxed apples lost firmness faster than the waxed apples.

A second study showed the waxed apples also had less weight loss after eight days at room temperature. Research horticulturists from the USDA report "the use of wax on Red Delicious apples improved firmness and color, and reduced weight loss."

Reply to
Mr. Natural-Health

I didn't claim there was a problem with the wax. Without it, we would not have decent apples 3-6 months after the harvest. I take issue with your claim that pesticides magically adhere to the wax and are flushed harmlessly out of your body. That's simply ridiculous. Furthermore, even if it were true, it would do nothing with regard to systemic pesticides. I'm sure you know what those are, right?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Perhaps, if you were to concentrate?

Try talking to the wall. You might get a better response. I have no intentions of continuing to talk to a self-admitted arse, like you.

Reply to
Mr. Natural-Health

Translation: In the face of facts, you have no option but to descend to insulting people. There are clones like you all over the newsgroups. Fortunately, this game is really easy.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I don't understand all this discussion about commercially grown apples. I thought this was a gardening forum for people who want to grow their own stuff.

Sherw> "Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in

Reply to
sherwindu

Well thanks to cross-posting, this thread is also in sci.med.nutrition.

Apparently, it was started by someone paranoid about wax on commercially grown apples. There is absolutely nothing unhealthy about eating a commercially grown apple from the USA.

All apples naturally have wax on them.

Historically, just one person died around 1920 from pesticide contamination. Since then commercially grown apples have been washed in order to remove all contact contamination from pesticides on the skin of apples. A safe wax made from palm trees is then added in order to replace the natural wax that was washed off during the cleaning process.

If anything the wax on apples documents that it is perfectly safe and healthy to eat. And, when properly handled this wax does NOT turn white. White spots on apples, documents that those apples wont stored properly. A fact that you would think that health conscience individuals would want to know about. Why would anybody want to buy white spotted apples, any more than a bunch of dark green bananas?

As usual, a bunch of trolls have tried to turn a non-issue into an issue.

--

-- John Gohde, Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is a biological factor of the mind-body connection. Now, weighing in at 18 web pages, the Nutrition of a Healthy Diet is with more documentation and sharper terminology than ever before.

Mr. Natural-Health