How small an area to reseed?

As a result of the midwest drought (that may be almost over), my yard has many areas where the grass is dead and the surface is a brown/tan dead thatch. In those areas less than a foot in diameter I expect the rhizomes from the surrounding grass will fill in by next Spring, and I plan on leaving the thatch alone so as to not disturb the new rhizomes. But, I don't know whether larger thatch areas will fill in or not, and whether or not I should remove the thatch if do not reseed those areas.

Anyone have first-hand experience?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Turf grasses go dormant during droughts same as they do in New England in winter. It's still plenty early enough in the midwest to irrigate before a hard freeze sets in. Water your entire lawn generously every afternoon and in two weeks it'll be all green and growing. Don't mow too short, especially just prior to winter... don't mow shorter than three inches prior to winter or during dry spells. If you're lucky you'll get some good rain this time of year. Midwest is a vrey broad definition encompassing many biomes, and there are many types of grasses, but in general every turf grass needs adequate irrigation to green up. I mow over ten acres of turf and we had a drought here in New England this summer, most of my lawn went brown and it's too large an area to water, I only watered specific plants. But then the rains came and everything is green and growing... in fact I'm hoping the rains stop long enough so things can dry so I can mow one last time before winter.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Brooklyn, someone is posting thoughtful, helpful replies using your name! You might want to investigate

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I always cut the grass fairly long, the question is how big an area will regrow via rhizomes and will it grow better if the thatch is removed or left alone.

Reply to
hrhofmann

How big is big? Whether to dethatch would depend on the type of grass and several other factors.

Brooklyn1