How much water?

I have to admit first off that I'm not a gardener, and unfortunately don't have much interest, but this situation does concern me a bit, so I thought I'd ask here.

I live in a 5-apartment building in the Bay Area which has quite a nice garden. Though the owner has little interest in maintaining it, a woman in another apartment likes to turn the hose on.

However, her scheme is to put the hose end at the base of a bush or tree, and let it run for 24 hours or so... Afte I've heard it running that long, *I* usually go and turn it off.

Yesterday I put a measuring cup under the running water, and got a pint in about 15 seconds. This works out to over 700 gallons in the time it was on (or ~4 cu.ft./hr if you prefer, which -- depending on how far the water spreads -- sounds like about a foot of rain per hour!).

Am I right in thinking this is way too much, or are my assumptions wrong somewhere? My personal interest -- aside from the fact that we're low on water in California this year -- is the lovely lemon tree that I'd hate to see damaged.

Answers appreciated. -- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Without knowing what types and sizes of plants she's watering, it's hard to say. That alone is enough to say that in general, her plan is a bad one and she should stop. Would it be correct to guess that the women is 4000 years old?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Mostly some rose bushes about 4ft high, and a 5ft Meyer lemon tree.

Thanks. That's what I thought. She's not quite that ancient, but let's just say I wouldn't want to date her... (:-/) [And she's one of those "greens" who doesn't really uderstand what being green means, and doesn't care as long as she can complain about something... Which of course means she's actually unlikely to listen to any expert advice!]

I just went and turned off the hose *again*, after putting my hand on the ground a few feet away and finding it not just wet, but waterlogged.

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

ROSES-- If you live in an area where irrigation is necessary, here is the general information you need regarding watering. Keep the ground around your roses damp, but not soggy. That may require irrigating 2-4 times per week during hot or windy weather in some climates. Consider using a "weeping hose" on a time clock -- it's easy to install, promotes optimal watering levels, and often saves money on water bills. Remember to mulch your plants; this also conserves moisture and reduces both work and expense. Watering roses, especially the foliage, in early morning hours reduces diseases (with the major exception of black spot). But never sprinkle rose foliage in the afternoon or evening, since this promotes diseases and ruins your enjoyment of roses.

Water (Meyer Lemons) deeply once every 7 to 10 days in midsummer (newly planted trees may need more frequent watering until established). Water less often if it rains or if the weather is cool.

Bill Rose

How about asking the building owner if he finds it enjoyable to spend less money on things, like his water bill? Maybe he'll suggest taking the knob off the faucet, or shutting it off inside.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

[...]

Honest question: Does "date" invariably mean f**k?

(O tempora , O mores!)

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

What we have here is a failure to communicate. In the name of a common cause let us clear the air.

WOMEN'SENGLISH

  1. Yes = No
  2. No = Yes
  3. Maybe = No
  4. We need = I want
  5. I am sorry = you'll be sorry
  6. We need to talk = you're in trouble
  7. Sure, go ahead = you better not
  8. Do what you want = you will pay for this later
  9. I am not upset = of course I am upset, you moron!
  10. You're very attentive tonight = is sex all you ever think about?

MEN'SENGLISH

  1. I am hungry= I am hungry
  2. I am sleepy = I am sleepy
  3. I am tired = I am tired
  4. Nice dress = Nice cleavage!
  5. I love you = let's have sex now
  6. I am bored = Do you want to have sex?
  7. May I have this dance? = I'd like to have sex with you
  8. Can I call you sometime? = I'd like to have sex with you
  9. Do you want to go to a movie? = I'd like to have sex with you
  10. Can I take you out to dinner? = I'd like to have sex with you
  11. Those shoes don't go with that outfit = I'm gay

Sorry, couldn't help myself,

Bill Rose

Bill Rose wrote in news:rosefam-CBB1D6.12370027052007 @cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

Oh, you'll have to be punished for that, Mister!

Punished = you'll enjoy it, too

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior >> >date her... (:-/)

Oh no, not a spanking. ;-)

Bill Rose

Somewhere on this mess of a computer, I have an interesting essay (from some magazine) about what women really mean when they say "Fine!" If I find it, I'll post it with the subject line "OT - Silent Treatment"

:)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That doesn't mean no sex does it?