Hillside question

I would like to re-landscape our side-yard which is basically a small hill/incline. I am in a pretty dry environment, although I can water the area without too much hassle. That particular part of the yard does not have much shade if any. Here is what I a looking for:

  1. It has to be a kind of grass and needs to be green most if not all year round.
  2. The grass would preferably be clumpy, or otherwise have a very meadowy feel to it by laying flat and having long blades. We have plenty of wind here, and it would be cool to see it brushed by the wind.
  3. The lower the maintenance the better.

I think that is it. Here is what I have found so far, tell me what you think:

  1. Blue fescue: Too blue for me though.
  2. Golden Toupee Fescue: Looks like it could be exactly what I am looking for, but I wanted to check with other gardeners to see what their experience has been with these.
  3. Creeping Red Fescue: From what I have seen, the look of this grass is very pretty, but I am not sure if it would stand up to tons of sun. I might be willing to put in some kind of shading as well, but I would rather not. Also not sure of the maxim length the grass blades will grow.
  4. Ridu hard fescue: This seems like it is more for a lawn than for a hillside though.

I honestly don't know what I am doing regarding this subject, so any advice, or direction would be very helpful!

Thanks, Pair

Reply to
TwistedPair

Phisherman

Hi Pair, You don't say where you live so it would be difficult to make specifi recommendations. If you are in Arizona, I might suggest differen sites then if you were in Montana, if you are in the US at all. Wit that said, you could take a look at these sites. Also, visit the firs one so you will know your hardiness zone if you are in the US.

might want to consider using something like lirope instead o grass. You mow it or cut it back once a year like the ornamenta grasses, but it stays green all year long and there are variegate varieties too.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt