High winds, small tornado?

I have a bottle brush tree(Callistemon citrinus) that is about 7 feet tall. It is one of my favorite plants. Such a bright pretty cheerful thing to look at when it blooms. Its location is good, in that when it sheds, it doesn't affect anything and make a mess on anything important. I was out of town today and when I got home, I was disappointed to see my bottle brush tree listing heavily to one side. The wind must have been coming out of the southwest (according to the direction it was leaning.) It was dark already, so I couldn't get all the details, but it looks like it's partially uprooted. The trunk is not broken. Looks as if the slab of ground that the rootball is in came out with the leaning over. How should I repair the damage. Just pull it back upright? And tie it off to support it? It's been in the ground at least a couple of years. Should I expect any trauma...leaves falling, or yellowing? I hate it when something bad happens to one of my plants. Perry z10, south of New Orleans.

Reply to
Perry Templeton

I don't know about the mechanical solution - others will chime in shortly, I'm sure. But I think it might be a good idea to cover the uplifted root area with some burlap to shade a roots. Spray the area with water to minimize root damage. Don't spray so hard as to wash lots of soil off the fine roots - just enough to keep things damp.

If you don't get good or fast answers here TODAY, I'd call an arborist for advice, rather than lose a tree you love.

Reply to
Doug Kanter