Help with dwarf cherry trees

I have a pair of dwarf cherry trees. Both leaf out fine in the spring but one looses it's leaves shortly thereafter. The other seems pretty well but I have noticed a branch or 2 starting to do the same thing as the other tree. Is there a cure for this? I don't see any other problems on the surface.

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
fredmertz_1

Good day Tim, sounds like you may have leaf spot. Check out this page:

for the huge url. You can go to the home page and search out the other pages on cherry issues. Go here to do that:

to tree fruits > cherry . This site has good infomation.... too bad they used frames and bookmarking is a bit hard. Good luck.

Reply to
Timothy

Where do you live and did you get the trees from one of those places like WalMart. Now contact the Extension Office in your area.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

I live in Minnesota, got the cherry trees at a nursery going out of busniess auction. What extension office in my area? The U of M will never answer the phone.

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
fredmertz_1

I don't know about yours, but most towns will have a County Extension Office somewhere. If you don't find it, contact some from the fair board and ask how you get in touch with a representative of U of M. I live in a town of

4500 now, and moved here from one in Arkansas that had 3500 population. Both have a County Extension Office.
Reply to
Dwayne

Need more information. How old are these trees? What variety of cherry? What climate zone are you in? What rootstock are they on? Did the effected tree ever look healthy and/or give fruit, or was it like that from the beginning. What kind of soil are they growing in? What other trees and plants are growing nearby?

Do the fallen leaves look attacked? Any of these questions and possibly more can give clues as to the cause of the problem. Just read you live in Minnesota. Cherry trees should be cold hearty there, but there are some varieties and/or rootstocks only good up to zone 5 (you must be in zone 4)

Sherw> I have a pair of dwarf cherry trees. Both leaf out fine in the spring

Reply to
sherwindu

from a 5 gallon size nursery pot.

What variety of cherry? Montmorency (sp)

What rootstock are they on? unknown

Did the effected

were great till a couple years ago.

What kind of soil are they growing in? Clay, on a hill with good air circulation.

What other trees and plants are growing nearby? Apple, Plum, Birch, Willow, Pine... They all seem fine, I chase fire blight on the apples from time to time.

Any of these questions and possibly

Hope this helps, I guess so far that I need to use a fungis spray, before they leaf out and after the blooms fall off.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
fredmertz_1

Look in County Offices. Should be a Extension Office Listing. If they don't answer call your County Commissioner they help pay for it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

Hi Fred, I also have a Montmorency tree here in zone 5 just north of Chicago. It is now about 15 years old and still producing good crops. There have been a few seasons where there was some leaf attack, but the tree always came back. It seems very strange that your problem has not shown up in some form with damaged leaves. It could be that the dwarf tree is approaching its life span limit, although I would expect a few more years from your tree. If it is a fungus, it's a strange one that does not give any indicators. Spraying for fungus certainly would not hurt. I sprayed my stone fruits today with lime-sulfer spray to start off the season. You may want to do the same.

Sherw> sherw> > Need more information. How old are these trees? Planted about 13 years ago

from a 5 gallon size nursery pot.

They were great till a couple years ago.

Reply to
sherwindu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo