Help needed with 'adopted' jade plants

Hello

This is my first time in a gardening forum and i could do with som help.

I am trying to save one large, one small and two potted cuttings of th Jade Plant - Im an estate agent and one of the houses is empty and wit the owners permission I was allowed to rescue the above! Rescue - well thats what I would love to do for them.

I brought them home today - the two plants were sitting in large dishe of water and when I moved them lots of their green healthy lookin leaves fell off - is this due to overwatering? The pot that held the cuttings is bone dry. The larger of the two plants is very lop sided and one of the smalle branches is shrivelled and bendy. Any advice on what I should do to bring these beauties back to 'normal and how I can save the two cuttings would be appreciated....please ca you keep it simple as i am a total novice. thanks for listening lis

Reply to
lisavye

Let jade completely dry out between watering. The overwatering will cause the leaves to drop or cause the roots to rot. They thrive on neglect, up to the point of the shriveling leaves part. Well drained sandy soil is best. Broken off branches can be rooted easily by sticking them in a pot. They need sun or partial sun to stay strong.

Reply to
cat daddy

Most likely. Overwatering a jade plant is deadly. My guess is that the root systems are gone. You may be able to start a new plant from a leaf or cutting. Lay the leaves on moist sand in a bright location. The trick is keeping the sand moist enough yet preventing rot--if the stem/leaf starts turning black it's too wet.

Reply to
Phisherman

thank you so much - I've just been to garden centre bought the pots and a sandy soil (recommended by the centre assistant) and have just repotted. Thriving on neglect may be good in my house - i mean well, but not having to remember to water everyday will make life for the plants so much better - thanks again.

Reply to
lisavye

I go weeks without watering, and they spend most of their time in direct, hot Texas sun. Right now, they're crowded in a greenhouse and I haven't watered all Winter. But, I try not to encourage them too much, as I have too many. Rule of thumb, as long as their leaves are plump, they're fine. Give them a good soaking if they start to shrivel. You'll figure out the timing for watering for your conditions after a while.

Reply to
cat daddy