growing grapes in a container

Copper sulfate is toxic, handle with care. It prevents mold/mildew very well, but probably would not use on food plants.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yes, it's toxic. Its use as a fungicide was discovered in France, where vineyards would apply it to vines to discourage vagabonds from stealing the fruit. Knowing that it is toxic, they would apply enough to be visible as a blue-green coating. The growers noticed that, where they applied copper sulfate, the vines did not develop mildew.

I apply it as a dormant spray before any foliage appears. I spray my peach, roses, and grapes right after pruning. I repeat the spray only on the peach, just before the flower buds open. Since the plants have not yet even bloomed let alone set fruit, there is no risk of contaminating the fruit.

No, I'm not an organic gardener. But when you grow plants that are unnatural (hybrids not found in nature) in an environment where they would not grow if they were natural, you must sometimes resort to unnatural practices.

Reply to
David E. Ross