Growing Bulb type--importance

I finally decided a growing light system would make my gardening life easier so I shopped for the best I could find and ended up with PL Lights from the Netherlands,reviewed as the best system for my needs with Sun IX System as the second choice.

It's the HPS version and I ordered it with the standard HPS bulb even though the PL light company also manufactures the Hortilux(sp) light bulb which I found out after I ordered :( I may have been able to save a few $$ ordering that bulb with the system..who knows.

Ok,my question is,will the standard HPS bulb have enough of the proper light spectrum to suffice through the whole growing process(orchids and tomatoes etc:)until I upgrade? In any case for future reference,what are the reliable online discount houses to purchase HPS type Bulbs?

Reply to
netrat

I'd suggest augumenting with florescent to provide the blue-white spectrum. HPS provides "hot colors" , florescent provides "cold colors" resulting in a full spectrum. Metal halide may also be used in place of lorescent. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Years ago, a researcher at the Univ. of Wis. (wish I could remember his name, dang!) found that using one cool and one warm fluorescent tube together provided adequate light. Works great for me, and it's vastly less expensive than gro-lights, full spectrum, etc.

Suzy in Wis., Zone 5

Reply to
S Orth