Energy saving bulb uplighter

Hi,

I just tried to replace a standard bulb in an uplighter with an energy saving bulb. Upon swithing the light on to test it there was a bright flash and the bulb no longer worked. What I don't get though is why it failed. It's just a standard light fitting and switch (not a dimmer) so as far as I can see it should have just worked. My best guess is that because the energy saving bulb is quite a bit heavier and was sticking out side ways (as they do in up lighters) it was able to break the contact with at the base which caused it to spark and die.

Anyone have any thoughts? Are uplighters unable to use energy saving bulbs?

Along the same lines... does anyone know why screw fit light bulbs are so unpopular? Personally, I think they are a much better design. I can only assume that some whacky law has been passed against them.

Cheers,

Graham

Reply to
doozer

Possibly a duff bulb? I have an energy saving bulb in a side lamp and it has not blown.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

May have been duff; take back & complain.

You can get energy saving downlights with ES screw, that would work in an uplight too; ie side is all shaded off and light projected through front; same shape as ordinary lamp.

Didnt notice if they had BC lamp types too.

ES {Screw ins] gaining ground with lamp fitting manufacturers so they can standardise production.

doozer wrote:

Reply to
Gel

try to avoid screw in bulbs if you like loud music or a floor above has people walking over it. With the loud music the bulbs actually unscrew and drop out, so you cn end up juggling red hot spotlamps or bulbs!

Reply to
sheba

Or any sort of downward-pointing fitting. ES (Edison Screw) aren't so bad, but SES (small ES) are infamous for self-unscrewing through thermal cycling.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

theones in my kitchen below my youngest's bedroom blow first due to the shock so it doesnt really matter what the fitting is personally i prefer the screw type

Reply to
Mindwipe

We've just had a thread about this.

Briefly, bayonet bulbs are superior because:

  1. You can't get live on the cap due to polarity reversal, making them safer.
  2. They don't stick in the holders as much. A screw thread has a large surface contact area to rust.
  3. They are easier to install/remove.
  4. They don't stop working after a few weeks because they've worked free.

There's no law against screw bulbs. Unfortunately, they are becoming increasingly common as manufacturers try to sell the same product in different countries, some of which don't have bayonet bulbs available.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:31:59 +0000 someone who may be doozer wrote this:-

Because it was a dud. It was not of merchantable quality, get a refund. One of my table lamps has an energy saving bulb in it which I bought in 1981. It still works as intended.

Modern energy saving bulbs do not have the heavy glass envelopes that the original ones did, so are much lighter. This is an advantage when mounted sideways.

Because they are used extensively in countries with primitive electrical systems. I would certainly pass a law to prevent such a primitive design being used in the UK.

You are welcome to your opinion. Another thread here has explained why your opinion is wrong.

Reply to
David Hansen