HELP: halogen vs energy-saving light bulb.... woes :S

I need some help and advice. I just moved into a new expensive flat. I am trying to save money as I am low on income. I noticed that my entire flat is illuminated by halogen light bulbs. Every single light bulb socket in the ceilings are halogen bulb sockets. I know that halogen light bulbs uses 10x more electricity/energy than conventional/old light bulbs. Does anyone know the easiest way to replace the halogen bulb sockets to be able to use the conventional/old light bulbs? Does there exist a convertor?

To save some money I have taken all but one halogen bulb out from each room. However I still don't like the sight of halogen light bulbs. I prefer installing "energy saving" light bulbs but I do not want to use floor/table lamps. There are now holes with dangling wires from where the halogen light bulbs used to be. The wires are the halogen sockets.

Reply to
KevinGPO

No, but they might use 4X more than compact fluorescents.

I replaced 150 W halogens with 14 W CFs in some art-deco church wall sconce light fixtures with large semi-circular frosted glass shades beneath by removing the metal fire-prevention grid above each bulb (which had reduced the light output a lot), then unscrewing the halogen socket and removing it and its pigtails and wirenuts to its feed wires and then adding a $2 black plastic medium base bulb socket, wirenutting its 6" pigtails to the original feed wires. Each socket had a metal tab with a hole for a sheet-metal screw to attach it to the metal back of the fixture, after I wrapped the socket with foil tape so it didn't look dark through the shade.

I modified only 1 of 8 fixtures first, then invited the building committee in to guess which one. They studied hard, but nobody guessed right :-) So then they became angry because I had fooled them and touched the building without their permission, and then finally gave in and allowed me modify the rest of the fixtures, at my expense, with faint thanks.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Since when are halogen less efficient than incandesant, you are missinformed. Flourescents are best for efficiency, if thats what you want shop by LPW, lumen per watt. Flourescents go from 45-100+ LPW, incandesants 17-19 lpw.

Reply to
m Ransley