ground cover that needs NO mowing?

I want some sort of low ground cover that can be used over a whole yard where I do not have other plants and does not need mowing at all. Oxalis ("false shamrock") looks promising, but descriptions also say that it is "non-invasive", and I want something that WILL be invasive to my whole yard, to the exclusion of "normal" grass. Anyone have any tips?

Reply to
Darren Garrison

where I do not have other

promising, but descriptions

invasive to my whole yard, to

Where do you live?

Reply to
Ricky

do not have other

promising, but descriptions

to my whole yard, to

Select a groundcover that will grow well in your conditions, (rather than one that you think looks good.)

Reply to
Phisherman

I do not have other

promising, but descriptions

to my whole yard, to

But I don't know what will grow well in my conditions (zone 7, red clay soil). Which is why I'm asking. Right now, the "lawn" area consists mostly of "weeds" that will reach multiple feet in height if not mowed. I want something that will

1.) cover the soil which would be mud with each rain if not covered 2.) grow to only a few inches high 3.) take as close to zero maintainence as is likely to happen in the real world
Reply to
Darren Garrison

where I do not have other

promising, but descriptions

invasive to my whole yard, to

soil). Which is why I'm

reach multiple feet in

2nd photo from the top shows my lawn planted with the fine bladed lithrope/mundo that spreads by stolens underground. I sprigged this every 4 inches and had solid coverage in 3 years. Nothing comes through this but trees. This grass is similar to the taller dark green and the lighter green variegated used in borders, except the blades are about 1/4 the size and it only grows to about 6 inches without mowing. I only mow my lawn once a year in the spring just before new growth starts. It's in the nursery in 4" pots in the Atlanta area, but they may order you some bulk by the square foot. In either case, you pull the plants apart and plug one plant to about every 4 inches for 3 year coverage, more or less for faster or slower, less expensive coverage. Sorry, don't know the true name?

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

I do not have other

promising, but descriptions

to my whole yard, to

Groundcovers which need no mowing:

stones sand astroturf

Low maintenance, too.

Sorry for the smartass remarks, I've been sniffing winter too long.

When Oxalis goes to seed, you will have it everywhere. It's not the best choice.

Is your yard sun/shade, wet/dry, flat/sloped, sandy, ?

What effect are you after?

More info will get you better results.

Reply to
MC

I'm new to this NG but saw your msg and had to reply... We live in Iowa, so I don't know if this will work for you, as it sounds like you are further south, but our back yard is very hilly, so much so that the back 10 feet of it are incredibly difficult to mow, so we are planning to plant no mow grass seed on it this spring. My husband's grandparents have it at their house in northern Iowa and their yard is all foundation with no more than 4 inches of topsoil dropped on top of it and it is thick and lush, and virtually weedless. From what I understand from this product, it only needs mowing twice a summer.

Here's the website:

hope it works for you.

Shelley

Reply to
Shelley

You don't say if it will have to take any human or pet traffic.

Reply to
David Hill

where I do not have other

promising, but descriptions

invasive to my whole yard, to

Try Ivy. You can keep rooting offshoots and placing them where you want. Snake heaven too.

Reply to
James

I do not have other

promising, but descriptions

to my whole yard, to

How about buffalo grass if you live in a dry climate, or "ajuga" (bugle) or "monkeygrass" in a wet climate.

Buffalo grass looks like a normal lawn if you mow it, or it stops growing at about 5 inches if you don't.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob