ground cover

just started reading here.

have to redo the yard as it was destroyed when the new house was built. Know nothing about this but would like if it is possible to use a ground cover instead of grass so we don't have to mow. Is there such a thing?

Lee

Reply to
Storrmmee

cement

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Storrmmee

Dave wrote the following:

You misspelled concrete.

Reply to
willshak

LOL!

That was the first thing that came to mind. even tho it won't answer his question. just a weeee bit-o-humor there

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Storrmmee

Dicondra

Reply to
Red

Dicondra

Reply to
Storrmmee

where are you located and do you live in a city or town? there might be some regulations that mean you won't be able to let certain plants just be.

if you have enough light and moisture to grow a groundcover that means you also have enough of those to grow taller plants and weeds that will want to take over.

so whatever time you gain by not mowing you end up putting much more into weeding. it's much easier to mow a lawn than to weed the same area by hand.

if you want a low maint lawn, it's easy, pick plants suitable for your area and scatter the seeds, mow when needed. never water, never fertilize, never spray or weed. just mow once in a while and use a mulching blade. that's as easy as it gets. when the trees drop their leaves run over them with the mower a few times.

believe me, i've tried about anything else and they all suck more time than a simple lawn would. we love gardening, so we have more gardens and decorations than lawn here (about 5% of the grass is left). at no point would i ever say it is easier or takes less time than mowing... the day i have to mow regularly is the day when the remaining lawn goes bye bye.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Reply to