grassy Iris

I have a couple of clumps of iris but not the bearded type, this type is standard and grows like a clump of ornamental grass. They're purple. They didn't flower profusely this season but the green part of the plants is healthier than it's ever been.

Last time I seperated this huge clump into 2 smaller clumps into "pits" of very dark compost but for a couple seasons neither the stalks nor the leaves would stay upright as the compost didn't provide a good solid "foundation" NOw that the planting medium has naturalized and the plants look sturdy & strong, they're not flowering.

Do Iris prefer not to be treated to a soft, rich royal meal of home made compost, when I redivide for better flowering?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

gregpresley

It sounds like Siberian Iris "Caeser's brother."

have a large clump that is about 6 years old. It took a couple of years to get established and then bloomed well for a couple of years. The last two years it hasn't bloomed well at all. I think it needs to be divided. I also think that it is getting too much fertilizer. I try not to fertilize it directly, but it is on a slope and I suspect that there is nutrient run-off from the upper part of the bed. They like constant moisture and a good deal of sun to do well. I wouldn't get to involved with amending the soil as they probably do better in average soil.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Thanks. Mine are at the bottom of a slope as well. They used to get a shot of miracle-grow runoff from above but I've discontinued using fertilizers now because I've ammended just about every planted area on the property.

Thing is, I could swear they bloomed better last year and the year before, and I'm unsure whether to divide and re-plant or just leave them alone to naturalize some more.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I'm sure mine need to be divided. The problem is that they have deep roots and are a pain to dig and divide. Then I have the added issue that I don't have any good place to put the extras.

Reply to
Vox Humana