Boweia Volubilis

Do any of you have one of these beautiful plants? Have you ever had yours flower or form bulblets? I can't find my cactus and succulent book right now. It was written by a guy with an Armenian-type name. He wrote that a bulb had been kept dry on a museum shelf for years and yet was still able to grow after having been put back in soil, but I suppose there are other plants like that, too.

. Mine is baseball-sized and I've had it for years in different locations and it never has flowered. Mine seems quite happy now in a southern window that's partially blocked by the house next door. I tried a search of how to propagate these but the one article that seemed to address the issue was a little over my head with the terminology. It seemed to state that some methods of propagation would kill the mother plant - I would never want to kill this plant! I did see some pictures of its flowers so if I could get it to flower perhaps I could get seeds. I haven't given this plant any fertilizer in quite some time. I probably don't water it as much as I should and sometimes it goes dormant but always comes back. I've heard it goes dormant in summer but this one seems to keep it's own schedule, maybe it's still on African time. I suppose I should fertilize it now and more often when it is growing.

It would be unique to have some of these to give to friends. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Skirmishd

They throw off plenty of offsets if well fed. The flowers are small star shaped things maybe all of 3/16" across, I never bothered to look for viable seed as they seem to offset enough to have plenty of gift plants. Mostly mine have been fed on aquarium mulm but my potting mixes are very rich having made compost at this house for 25 years.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I think my first step will be to repot it the same pot with fresh soil, as it hasn't been repotted in years. Actually, there may be a tiny root coming out the bottom so I may need to go a size larger.

What kind of light does your plant get? All of my southern windows get sun but not all day because of the house next door.

Thanks for your information.

Reply to
Skirmishd

Good sun in a southeast exposure, these things will fill a pot like a triple dip ice cream I would get them actively growing in a well draining mix, mine are due to be rinsed out with rain water to lower the amount of salts they accumulated ovcr the winter.

Reply to
Beecrofter