Grasses for sandy, southern coastal plains??

All:

Recommendations for grasses to plant in a sandy, acidic pine-barrens soil? Something that take the doughtiness of the nearly pure sand soil. pH can be handled with lime so I am not concerned. I know that there are cv's out for this sort of application. I am wondering if folks with experience in this environment ( MA - FL costal sites) have any experiences to share. I sure would like to avoid trucking in top-soil just to grow grass!

Thanks

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Agreed if the aforementioned lawn is in the south. Bahia is about the toughest southern grass there is. Bermuda also does pretty well and is prettier but not as drought tolerant. These are not cool weather grasses and wait until hot weather to green up.

Reply to
FarmerDill

I'm in middle TN and have been pulling Bermuda grass out of my flower beds this morning, as I will be tomorrow and forever after. I personally wouldn't recommend it if you also want to garden. YMMV

Kate

Reply to
kate

Reply to