Grass to garden -- what's the best approach?

The thing that is missing from your scenario is big FENCE (or wall, or 2+ metre hedge) that prevents the dog - or anybody else

- from using your property as a toilet.

There are a few people in my street with fences and hedges right up to the public footpath.

Unfortunately, this may be against gubmint regulations in your area.

Reply to
Usenet2007

It's not allowed here, either. And, it's a ridiculous idea. I shouldn't have to spend money to prevent antisocial behavior.

By the way, the problem with the conversation above is that the dog owner gave the wrong response. The correct response is "Sure. No problem". There is no other correct response.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It depends what kind of grass it is. If it's bermudagrass nothing will work all that well.

I would probably use Roundup to kill the grass. Wait a few days, then mow it really short, and plant over the top of it. Use some kind of mulch. If you disturb the soil, weed seeds that have been lying dormant for years will start to sprout.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I fully understand. Kill a cow, not problem. If they did that to poodles and wore their fur the entire earth would freak out!

I am not telling you to be okay with this problem, but unfortunately the only way around it is to do one of the two things I suggested. We have cat and dog ordinances here and my neighbor still continues to let his cats out. Nobody likes him, but his entire life is full of horrible strife. Nobody gets out of here alive, if you get my drift.

Reply to
Jangchub

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:43:37 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior here purely for my enjoyment.

You know, pennyroyal is actually proven to repel fleas and is low growing. It's also not AS invasive as peppermint and has a stronger fragrance. I believe it only gets to about six inches. That may be an option for you.

Reply to
Jangchub

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:44:42 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

I'm in Texas USDA Zone 8b. Last average frost is in two weeks. I have not planted anything out yet, but the flats are out there and I can bring them in if it gets below 45. I have some S. greggii and lambs ears, etc. Now is still early enough for that, but it was 87 degrees yesterday and 82 today. We call that cool! Brrrrr.

Reply to
Jangchub

I'm with you, but not with the level of anger you have about it. Then again, I let rats live on my property and wouldn't think of killing them.

Reply to
Jangchub

Rent a sod cutter, strip all of the sod then rototill the bed. Otherwise spray the lawn with roundup and then till it.

Reply to
Derryl Killan

I don't have strife. I'm training dog owners. It's easy to do. It's hard to explain, though. Everybody creates their own belief systems. Some people believe their kids are perfect. Some believe their dogs are deities.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's not anger. Frankly, it's an interesting legal debate, but for some people, that involves some heavy lifting. They don't realize that in Supreme Court hearings, the justices use hypothetical ideas that seem outrageous, but they're important for purposes of pushing peoples' legal thinking to extremes. The same thing goes on with dog owners. Was it you who asked earlier why someone didn't deserve an explanation about why I wanted no dogs on the property? A judge might ask you this: If you're hiking, and see lots of signs saying "No Trespassing", do you disobey the signs because they don't contain a reason why?

I find the discussion very peaceful.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I just got another TWO copies of a flier that relates to previous fliers in my mailbox.

Somebody pleading about a male cat going around the area, marking his territory. And asking his unidentified owner (servant) to have him neutered. Which will apparently also "fix" either the urinating habit, or the smell.

I dunno... I've only seen one cat in my garden, and haven't seen or smelled any spraying. S/he's not mine. But s/he whines really loud, and extorts me for little bowls of milk, frequently.

Reply to
Usenet2007

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

Got a hose? Water the damned plant and get over it. Ordinances regarding dog waste are for feces, and you know that. Spend your life being superior, complaining and judging, or water your garden and get over it.

Reply to
Ann

If I wanted to garden in mud, I'd be out there during rain storms. Also, one dog's scent attracts the strays to the same spot.

Mind if I stop by and remove your windows, just because I feel like it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't believe I said someone didn't deserve and explanation...

I do know if I was really annoyed by something and I needed to sit with a camera around the usual time this person walks their dog, I'd do it.

There are laws which protect you as well as me, but the downside of making reports on people is that their animals usually wind up in the pound and euthanized.

It's never the fault of the animal. This discussion comes up now and then in rec.gardens. Nothing is ever resolved. Have you actually asked this person not to allow their dog to pee on your plants? If so, what did that person say? On the other hand, you can hose the plants off and be on with life.

When these little inconveniences prop up for me I think about the thousand people who just died all over the world from either starvation, not a drop of water, or HIV AIDS. I think of the child in Africa who dies alone at the age of five and a huge vulture now has some food. There are so many more important things in the world and locally to put energy into.

I know you really hate when the dog pees, but either do the waiting with the camera and report that person, or do something else to take your mind off it. Nobody is in disagreement that you have rights.

This discussion has been peaceful. By now most of these type discussions end in total idiocy. Get the camera out, OR put a video camera up where it can see the dog doing this. You should be able to get several hours out of the tape. Eventually you'll capture it.

Reply to
Jangchub

Even castrated male cats can still spray. It would be better for the cat to have plain water and not milk. They do not have that digestion enzyme for dairy after they are weaned and it gives them the runs.

We do have a visiting cat. Stalks the birds. So, we built a huge brushpile in a circle so by the time the cat gets there, it will make noise to alert the birds and they can take cover in the brush.

I have two pair of Cardinal's this year. They are cheeping their brains out right now. I look forward to the babies.

Reply to
Jangchub

When babies start walking and investigating everything in the house, most people put safety locks on cabinets containing anything that could hurt a baby. Assuming the home did NOT have these safety locks in place before the baby, would you agree that their appearance is related to the presence of the new baby?

One obeyed, and remained friendly. Two said that the first X feet of property belongs to the public, which is not true (according to our town justice), and continued to argue. All three were asked politely, in the exact same way.

You could use this logic to justify looking the other way for almost any kind of crime. I've got a friend who could remove a picture window from your house, intact and undamaged, in under 1/2 hour. Would that be OK with you? After all, it's not assault or indecent exposure, and it's certainly not a bad as a child starving in Africa. I just like your window and I feel like having it, purely on a whim. You wouldn't call the police, right?

That would only help if I wanted to waste time at our town court. I'm considerate of my neighbors. I expect the same, without having to spend money or take time off from work in order to make it happen. Some of us understand that when you work hard to have a nice home, you have the right to peace and harmony.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So why have you hijacked this discussion? The original question wasn't about you. It's not always about you.

Start another thread; call it "Dogs should be shot on sight" or something.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Threads with that subject line NEVER go well. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Then get some of those little signs that stake in the ground that say "NO PETS" or "PLEASE DON'T PEE HERE" (they exist, I've seen them). Put them at the edge of your flower bed to help educate all those dog owners who don't know that people like you get really upset about this. The signs are non-confrontational and require no active participation from you.

Reply to
scfundogs

Ahhh Spring is in the air And trolling is bursting forth Dou--er--Joe take your hook and line And do some icefishing instead :? )

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca