Gigantic Banana Tree Removal

Hey, I just bought a new house and I'm cleaning up the yard. Currently there is a massive banana tree on the side of the house (between my house and the neighbor). The tree is probably 15+ years old and has been allowed to grow uncut for a very long time. There are multiple stalks on the tree (20+ at least 6" diameter) and the base is about 5 feet by 8 feet (yes, this is a banana tree). I have been chopping stalks down for days now, I have just the trunk left. Question is, how do I keep it from continuing to grow back? I don't believe I could get the "root ball" out without tearing up my slab. Can I use roundup, or some other chemical? People have suggested bleach or diesel - not too hot on either of these. What about large amounts of salt?

Reply to
Travis.Guilbault

Roundup sprayed on the leaves should do the trick. Remember that Roundup has to be sprayed on the foliage during vigorous growth for the best results. If I was your neighbor I would much, much rather see Roundup used than the other suggestions :)

If you plan on mowing this area let the mower take care of it. It may take a year or two, but it will eventually give up.

Reply to
Leon Fisk