Giant Ragweed

Today I did a weed search on this one plant that was getting huge and found out it was giant ragweed. I let it grow to be about 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall with a huge trunk in one of the new wildflower boxes. After confirming it was giant ragweed I decided to pull it. The plant must have come from the new soil in that box that I got from Menards. After pulling it it let out this huge stench that made me nauseous and I got some of the stem juices on my hands and that really stunk. I don't have any allergies and never had a problem with pollen but right now, four hours later, my sinuses are stuffed up and I have a headache. Does anyone know if this will go away by itself or will I now have a permanent allergy problem? Now I understand why so many people have to take drugs like Clariton.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Everybody is allergic a bit to ragweed pollen, you managed to get a snoot full. he dosage makes the poison. Bennedryl works pretty good, so does rinsing as much of your nose as you can with shower or sink sprayer.

Reply to
bamboo

Only addicts have to take drugs. Some people require prescription or over the counter medication to preserve quality of life.

Reply to
Travis

I went to the local pub and that did the trick. :-)

I thought I was immune to pollen but apparently not. I now have a better understanding what people with seasonal allergy problems must go through. It must be horrible to just feel like that when normal amounts of pollen fill the air in the spring and summer. I doubt anyone here have this kind of allergy or else they wouldn't be gardening!

Reply to
Mark Anderson