fruit tree recommendation

I need a recommendation for a fruit tree that is not bothered by Japaneese beatles and is relatively free from fungal infections. This is for Central Maryland - zone 6

thanx

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

I don't read every catalog from cover to cover, but I read a lot of them, and I don't think I've ever seen a beatle-resistant tree offered. As far as fungal infection, I'd consult a reliable nursery, such as

Very serious place. Or, find a local one run by people who appear to live in the soil themselves. It would not be enough to tell you "peach tree" - you need specific cultivars.

Finally, you should go to google, and do a web search which includes the words "Maryland" and "cooperative extension". Do you understand why?

thanx

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Idea: I want to build a little (250-300 gallon) pond in the backyard of my suburban north-Florida home.

Question 1: Will this little pond be a serious haven for mosquitoes and every other nasty, winged insect (including fire ants that love black plastic like my planned pond liner spread over the ground)?

Location: My backyard is fully fenced-in (5-foot high wood fence) and is located in the middle of a residential area. The site I selected is about 30-35 feet away from my patio area, and one end will be located at the top of a hill the other end will be about 5"-6" lower. I figured I can just berm up the lower end. Then drape the end of the plastic pond liner over the top of the berm to hold the berm in place. (The soil in my yard, like most of Florida, is very sandy.) There'll be a small (8-foot high) Dogwood tree located on the south side and a section of my backyard's fence will be located west side of the pond and will shade the later evening sun. In all, the pond will probably get about 6 hours of direct sun and a couple hours of semi-shaded.

Questions 2 & 3: Is this location okay? Or will it get too much sun... and end up being green, algae-filled swamp in a matter of weeks?

To add interest to my little pond, and to keep the bug population in check, I figured I'd add some inhabitants. I figured the best thing to add would be some local tadpoles, minnows (little bluegills/panfish or whatever they're called in this part of the country) a couple adult frogs, and maybe a turtle or two.

Questions 4 , 5 & 6: Best to stay with local creatures, right? What do you think about adding some African Cichlids (in place of the local fish), from a tropical fish store? Cichlids are tough little fish, surely they could survive in my pond, right?

I also want a little water fall on one end of the pond.

Questions 7, 8 & 9: How gallon-per-hour pump should I use? How many hours a day should the pump run? Should my pond have some sort of filtration system?

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother than they're worth?

Please give me your thoughts, ideas and experiences.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

[...]

Patrick- I have a small pond in my back yard of about that size. I have it stocked with gold fish, and have no problems with mosquitos or winged pests. In actuality, if you have a pond with fish in it, it works as a mosquito trap. . .The fish eat mosquito larvae as part of their diet;-)

Myrl

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
myrl_jeffcoat

They are worthwhile. However, I would strongly suggest that you either hit the library, or invest in a book or two. You'd need to do this in order to have a successful aquarium indoors. This is the same, but with more factors involved. If you think you're going to get enough information in a newsgroup, you may as well forget the idea.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks for the reply, Doug!

I've had considerable expirence with tropical fish. In the past I've owned a 29, 55 and 100 gallon aquariums. I've sucessfully raised numerous varieties including Killifish and Cichlids. However, this will be my first outdoor pond. I've been reading info from numerous sources, but would like to converse with someone who has some first-hand practical expirience. Do you have any other info to share?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I found a good little pond instruction book at my local Home Depot here in Sacramento. Also, our Home Depot and Lowes, has a variety of poly ponds in a variety of shapes and sizes. That is what my pond is. I dug a hole in a desireable place, put the pond form in, with the top of it being a couple of inches above the grade of the ground. Then I placed small stone shaped stepping stones along the edge to give it a more finished look.

Home Depot also sold the pumps in various sizes and function to select from. The pumps are very easy to install, and come with their own instructions. I selected a little pump and hooked it up to a spitting frog which spits the water into the pond.

Here's a link to a picture of my pond:

've had it about 4 years now. . .It's been very little work to maintain. Other than a few blown in leaves in Autumn.

I suggest visiting Home Depot or your local Garden Center. . .Locating a Sunset book on Ponds and Fountains. . .and then have a whole lot of fun! You can do it easily in a day!

Myrl

myrl_jeffcoat

Maybe. Fish eat bugs.

Cichlids would probably survive in Florida. I like cheap goldfish. You don't mind replacing them when they get eaten. Koi tame easily. Colored fish help you see them. You may never see your cichlids again after adding them.

One rule of thumb is to pump your total pond gallons every hour. You may need to pump more for a successful waterfall.

How many

24 hours 7 days a week probably cost $30 a month or so

Should my pond have some sort of

Filters are essential if you have critters. Plan on several big ones.

I like them.

Bottom drains make the cleaning chores much easier.

Reply to
Pat

I don't consider miller nurseries a very serious place. Their specification on fruit trees are lacking important details such as rootstock type and specific variety type information. A better source would be Raintree in Washington state, where they give you all the detailed info you need, not just general terms like 'dwarf' tree. Sadly, what most consumers don't check is the actual dwarfing rootstock type. There is lots of variation in size within the dwarf and semi-dwarf arena, and there is lots of information about that to be found on the web, or in books.

Some fruit tree types are naturally more resistant to pests. Pears are less vulnerable than apples to such attacks. Within apples, there are varieties like William's Pride, Liberty, etc., which display some natural resistance to fungus. There is no apple variety I know of that is inherently resistant to insects. These resistant types are decent tasting apples, but I don't think they are the very best in flavor. The only fruit tree with inherent resistance to insects is the Paw Paw, a native American variety. The only insect that can tolerate getting near it are flies, which do the job of pollination and do not attack the fruit.

Sherw> I don't read every catalog from cover to cover, but I read a lot of

Reply to
sherwindu

It depends on the nutrient level in the water, if you add any fertiliser for water plants (or it runs in of your lawn for instance) or you add fish food, or allow fallen leaves etc to rot in the pond then the nutrients will encourage algae. I put some tubs of water lillies in a small pool, these were prepared with rotted manure and blood and bone as lillies are gross feeders, the water turned bright green in a week.

The solution is not algicide but a large graded box filter as part of your pump line, it will remove both rotting organic matter and the algae given time to develop. Talk to your local ornamental pool place - a good one will not only sell you the right stuff but advise you sensibly.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

There is/was a great news group for backyard ponds. rec.ponds but the trolls have taken it over and just about ruined it. You still may be able to gather information there especially if you search old messages. If you post there be warned and do not ever respond to a troll even if they have forged ID that resembles a normal poster. I've had a successful 200 gal pond for 6 years and I got nearly all my information from that group. I've also got a home made filter system that works pretty well and found out what I needed to know about that at rec.ponds and finally.....

I use mag/drive type pumps. I have 2 rio 2100s. (600 gal/hour each) They use less than 40 watts each. This is much less than $30/month mentioned earlier! (at an astronomical power rate of 10=A2 per KWH this is less than $6 a month.)

If you are a DIYer and willing to build your own system you can have a nice pond fairly cheaply. Go browse back a couple years in the rec.ponds news group. Good luck.

Dan D. Kentucky USA

ky-dan

Actually, no. My ex-wife was in charge of the pond. So she dealt with algae issues (which were never a constant problem). And, since we're in upstate NY, and she didn't want to dig the pond below the frost line, there were no local species in the pond (not intentionally, at least). Just goldfish. She spent a lot of time with books on the subject until it became second nature to understand the issues involved.

Two tips: If you have any animal neighbors around which eat fish, they will probably visit your pond from time to time. We watched one day as a seagull made off with a goldfish. Another time, she lost half her fish in one night. Probably a raccoon. I was asked to construct a lightweight screen cover using 1x1 wood and chicken wire, which she'd put over the pond at certain times determined by factors ranging from intuition to the time of year.

Heat: Think about the species you're hoping to keep in the pond, and be prepared to make quick design changes to keep the temperature in a range that won't kill them. This means choosing the right depth, something you can't change easily after the pond's finished. Others include the right plants & structures both inside & outside the pond, for shade purposes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

No. When stocked with ruby-red minnows and/or goldfish, the mosquito larvae will be eaten. Surprisingly, properly stocked ponds reduce mosquito populations. Also, mosquitoes will not lay eggs in moving water.

Your location is fine. Many aquatic plants require some sun to grow well. You may have algae bloom issue--but there are remedies such as using barley hay or algae-eating fish.

You probably want to forget about turtles.

Probably not. The ruby reds are excellent. Paradise fish can withstand temperature changes. With a 300 gallon pond, resist the temptation of adding too many fish--ten should be plenty.

The more fish you add, the more filtration required. A 500-gallon per hour is about right. You will need to maintain a filter and clean the pump on a regular basis. Run it continuously.

Keep it simple and as balanced as possible, and they are easy to maintain. I have a 7,000-gallon pond for over 12 years and love it. Fortunately, it is spring-fed and drains to a creek--no pump required!

Reply to
Phisherman

unless that place has new ownership I would never consider it a "serious" place. they graft trees without regard to compatibility issues so 3 years after planting the tree suddenly dies. Nothing I ever bought from them is still alive. try Bay Laurel Nurseries

Raintree
I'd consult a reliable nursery, such as
Very serious place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

actually. there is better information from the PEOPLE on rec.ponds than in some of those silly books on ponds that simply regurgitate the same bogus information from the last round of books. the first decision is if you want a pond with a few fish or you want a pond FOR fish, cause how they are sized and built is different. Ingrid

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Weird. My experience has been the opposite, but I'm more focused on berries & grapes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

No... ponds with any kind of fish are not havens for nasty bugs. you might consider a nice waterfall dropping into the pond. and rather than berms, I constructed a stud wall so my pond is 1.5 feet out of the ground.