Evergreens Question

I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice. My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and dense. What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for

80 ft frontage?

Thanks Art

Reply to
artmt

Japanese Holly

Depends if you want instant gratification then you must pay for it. Yet small plants turn into large ones.

I'd consider a berm with rhododendrons.

Bill

PS OK to make many mistakes so look about your neighbor plantings.

Reply to
William Wagner

I need instant gratification. I am building a duplex and will be selling half of it. Cannot wait until the plants mature.

Reply to
artmt

Some plants/trees are more sensitive than others to exhaust from automobiles, so if it's a busy highway and/or your trees will be in close proximity to the road, that might be another thing to consider in deciding what to use.

Reply to
Gary

You probably won't get much noise attenuation from trees or shrubs -- a solid berm or wall will do much better. You might consider windows especially designed for noise reduction -- I know they're out there, but can't give you any details. Choice of building materials may also help-- the houses I've been in with ICF walls have been very quiet (ICF: those styrofoam giant lego blocks filled with concrete).

Kay Lancaster

Maybe consider a fence. Shrubs and such do very little with noise. A fence to block some of the noise and a water feature (fountain) to mask the remaining noise would be a decent solution.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo