Eggplant strawberry disaster

For photos of the problem please refer to Alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under the same subject line.

As you'll note in the photos, the plant was chopped in half on one plant. And the other plant the leaves were pulled off and left on the ground. There were 5 more eggplant plants but nothing remained of them. The plants were about a foot and a half in size with fairly large leaves so it couldn't be a cutworm. I'm also attaching a photo of a strawberry that was eaten through. My garden is behind a five foot fence with chicken wire that is running along the bottom (2 feet height) so that smaller critters can not get in.

I know that deer can easily jump over, but they would leave foot marks, and there are none. I've inspected the ground around, and don't see any holes, nor do I see any prying in the fence anywhere. I was wondering what it might be. We do have a lot of groundhogs, deer, beavers, cottontail rabbits, moles, and lots and lots of birds, Central New Jersey. I grow lettuce less than 20 feet away, tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers and nothing was touched. Any clue?

-M

Reply to
GrlIntrpted

Boids, dirty, rotten, stinkin boids! ("The Producers")

Reply to
Seamus

You mean birds? What kind of birds would do that?

Reply to
GrlIntrpted

Squirrels on hanggliders? Definitely a case for Jonathan Creek. Sorry, don't have a clue. You could try setting up some traps and/or Have-A-Hearts.

Sherw> For photos of the problem please refer to Alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Reply to
sherwindu

Birds, yes - crows and jays, mostly. Orioles and others will often damage fruit.

Reply to
Seamus