Echeveria ( California sunset ) Hens and Chicks?

Is that what they are called "Hens' and Chicks" for Echerveria? Well i have one and its getting almost tall enough that may need repotting . Now with the fall aproaching and not getting the sun that it really getting on my south porch,, and bringing it indoors eventually..would this be the right time to repot? Also, do they actually bloom?

Reply to
boothbay

I think there might be quite a few different Echeveria that use the common name of 'hen and chickens' and the ones I know of do bloom - not a particularly interesting flower in comparison to some of the other flowers that other desert plants get.

I don't have mine in pots as they grow all over the garden so I can't tell you about when you technically 'should' repot. I use them as markers on the edge of beds so I know where I've done soil improvement. I have a garden of 2 acres or more and they spread and ramble all over the place.

What I can say is that they are as tough as old boots and if you leave them lying on a path upside down and then come back 3 weeks later, turn the echeveria right way up and stuff it into the soil, it'll grow and reproduce. In other words, don't coddle it because it won't need it.

Reply to
FarmI

I always thought that Hens and Chickens referred to Sempervivum rather than Echeveria.

Reply to
Owdboggy

The common name means little and seldom does in the world of plants. Just as 'hens and chickens is applied to numerous Echevaria, it is also applied to sempervivum. Put "Hens and Chickens" and "Echeveria" into google as search terms and see what you get.

Reply to
FarmI