Dracanea Marginata plant (indoor) - pruning and getting to sprout more bits

Hi

I'm not really an accomplished house plant keeper. However, my Dracaena Marginata has ended up growing quite tall and thin and it's bending under the weight of the leaves so I'd like to cut it down. What I've read already suggests to just cut the stem and it will take a while to start growing leaves again. However, is there any way to make it start growing leaves in two or even three places? It's only growing them from one place at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

tHatDudeUK

Reply to
tHatDudeUK

You need to behead it in the spring when it is growing well. In most cases this will cause a number of buds to sprout below the cut. This is how the multi-branched specimens are produced. When the new heads have leaves on them feed it a little then later in summer if they are a good size feed it a bit more.

It will also keep its leaves better and look bushier if it is in strong light, even a little sun. If the light is too dim it will tend to stick to being thin and spindly no matter how many times you cut it as it is spending all its effort trying to grow tall to reach better light.

You can also strike the head that you cut off as a bonus.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

So my understanding that it just regrows from the part it growed from before is wrong. Does this just happen, is there a known way of encouraging it to happen or does it just happen?

The plants past location would explain that problem then with it all bent one direction, although now it is in the brightest place possible.

Sorry, not too sure what you mean by the word "strike" here?! All I can think you mean is stick the end in some rooter powder and plonk it in a pot of some good planting soil.

I guess I'm probably best doing it now as in the UK the warmer weather has just started to come and I think it's growing more than it has, I think it's officially spring :-) Shows what I know, lol.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
tHatDudeUK

Mostly it just happens in my experience. You could try giving the cut top a touch of rooting powder.

That's what I mean.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott