Can anyboby identify this plant?

Hello all,

I need help. I bought this plant about 6 years ago thinking it woul look nice next to my water feature. It' a green spikey yucca type thin

- leaves about 2 foot in length and bout 3 foot tall (does that ad u ?). Anyway, during those 6 years the plant has sprouted next to itsel aboput three times and is slowly migrating towards my house. This year for the first time, it's started to flower, at least that's what I thin it is. A huge red 2 inch thick stem/stalk has shot up from the centr with red 6 inch leaves, each of those leaves protecting about 5 bud ready to flower. This stem however is already about 7ft tall and don't quite know what to do. It's growing at such a rate it's unrea and given I live in a three storey house, I'm afraid that I might se it tomorrow morning when I open my bedroom curtains ! If anyone has any info on what it is or how I should look after it the I would be grateful. Please see attached pics.

Thank

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: DSC01713.JPG |Download:
di7ip

Looks like one of the southwestern US yucca plants. In the proper climate they can be very invasive. In their own territory they don't take over the area but in a damper climate, aka UK, they can move rapidly. Some people call them "Spanish bayonet" because the tips of the "leaves" are very sharp. Took me a year to clear out a patch on some land I used to own in Texas. HTH

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Thanks George. I'm actually unsure what to do with it now, should look after it, or should I get rid of it ? I think I'll wait to se what the flowers look like. It's growing so fast, another 8 inches a least since I posted the first thread on Friday. I've just notice that a new one has started to grow right next to it. If this can b removed without harming the existing one, then anybody is welcome t it. Thank

-- di7ip

Reply to
di7ip

The plant that is blooming will most likely die after the flower finishes. I'd just let it go now, it will be more fun to watch and nothing bad will come of it. The pups that start around the bottom can be separated and replanted. sort of up to you if you want to keep one or more of them going when this one finishes.

We had one where I worked, different species, that made it to 40 ft high.

Reply to
Charles