Prunus Victoria

Hi all

Newbie here hope ye can help. I bought a Victoria Plum tree about Oc

2006 from a supermarket and watered it but kept it in its bucket Anyways there was nothing from it last year barely any leaf growth an then i moved house.

So now the tree is in its tub on a balcony geting loads of sunshie an water and its grown about a foot and is about 6 or so foot tall covere in leaves.

Could I get plums from it this year and if not how should i prune i to encourage growth and plums next year? Will it flower? Also I woul like to repot into bigger pot but when is best time to do this? I don want to plant it until i have my own house

-- cigil

Reply to
cigil

You should not have to prune it to encourage fruit production. In fact, you could be discouraging fruits from appearing.

If it doesn't, you will never get fruit. If this plum was not grafted onto a

dwarfing rootstock, it could take a few years to reach bearing age as a standard size tree. Hopefully, you have a dwarf or semi-dwarf for your balconey.

You have the right idea there. What you have to be careful about is the tree outgrowing it's pot. That would cause all kinds of problems, possibly killing the tree in time, as the roots strangle themselves.

Best time would be when the tree is dormant, say the end of the Winter or very early Spring. If the roots appear to be cramped, tease them outward before inserting in the larger pot.

This plum is supposed to be moderately vigorous. Once your blossoms appear, you can do some hand pollination, if no insects are around. Also, although this plum is self-fertile, it could benefit from another plum tree nearby for better pollination. You may want to plant one of these trees, recommended at this site:

Hope this helps, and be patient for those blossoms,

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

thank you much appreciate