Tender cauliflower plant broken

Hi,

I started Burpee=92s cauliflower seeds indoor on 21st February, 2009 in peat moss strips with the soil less media (50% peat moss + 50% vermiculite). I kept them in 68 F next to my window. The germination took place in 4 days. During the last 4 weeks it grown up to 3 to 4 inches height with only 2 small leaves and yesterday it just broken down half-way & died. The stem was hair thin and that caused the plant to brake, I believe.

What is wrong with my indoor setup? I took care of it really well.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Ganesh

Zip: 45040, Ohio USDA Plant Hardiness Zone: 6

Reply to
gar_newbie

Maybe "damping off?" There are a number of other things you can do, but direct sunlight plus good air circulation does wonders in preventing fungus.

Reply to
Phisherman

Not enough light once they germinated. You need to move them progressively into strong light, then part sun, then full sun. Cauilflower is not an indoor plant.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

For damping off, what you say is good. Years ago I started sprinkling the surface of the starting mix with cinnamon, a proven antifungal, and have had not a single seedling damp off.

Smells damned fine also. :-)

One alsi needs to keep artificial lights within and inch or so of the seedlings and be sure you have full coverage with your lights.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie