"Dewy pine"

One of my rare appearances here, to ask about a rare plant. I'm thinking of growing the carnivorous Portuguese sundew or dewy pine (/Drosophyllum lusitanicum/, neither a sundew nor a pine). I've looked at a number of Web sites on it, and some say it likes dry climates, while others say it needs humidity at least 50%. I can't give it 50% humidity all the time here in New Mexico, or not without more effort than I want to put out. Does anyone know whether it really needs that?

Also, the Web sites say it's a remarkable effective "predator", even catching and digesting fairly big flies. Do I have to worry that it will kill digger wasps (which I like having around) or honeybees (which I hope will pollinate my little desert fruit trees) or butterflies? I suppose if these plants were really effective at reducing insect populations, everyone would have them.

A couple links for anyone interested in this weird plant:

Reply to
jerry_friedman