computer question

Click once (and only once) on an empty place on the desk top. Then, press the F1 key. Let me know what happens. It might take a few seconds. While you're waiting, put your hands behind your head as if you were about to be arrested, to keep from pressing or clicking anything else because you're impatient.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

correct. she has some trouble. Can't I make a large icon on something to shut down?

(I'm somewhat dyslexic myself--I have

Reply to
symplastless

Hold down the button on the front of the computer for five seconds.

If you don't like that one then go picket Microsoft and maybe they'll write another method for you.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is your "G" key broke? IE: GB vs. MB. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

In prior versions of windows, have seen 2 versions of shortcuts on the desktop for shutting down the PC. One is a simple shutdown command. The other, an unconditional shutdown command. Both are linked to corresponding batch files which make up the actual commands. Not sure about Vista.

Here's a google search:

Dioclese

I'm still running WinXP and have never seen Vista but try this:

Shutdown.

Make a new short cut and in the Target area place: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -t 5 -s

Then in the Start in area place: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Choose a nice icon before you save and close the short cut.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Hope that works, if not sorry for wasting your time. ;-)

If the previous worked then try this if you wanted to restart your computer and not just shut down:

Restart.

Make a new short cut and in the Target area place: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -t 5 -r

Then as before in the Start in area place: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Then choose an icon.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- I hope you are on a roll. :-)

What say you clicked one of the previous buttons by mistake.

Abort.

Make a new short cut and in the Target area place: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -a

Then as before in the Start in area place: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Then choose an icon.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

The characters -t 5 used in Shutdown and Restart initiates a shutdown or restart in 5 seconds. I suppose that could be varied if you wanted a more immediate or longer Shutdown or Restart. For example " -t 1" or " -t 9"

Reply to
Brett

age

You're right. I think I did point out earlier that I have dyslectic fingers ;)

Reply to
Frank

There is an on/off switch, button, toggle or otherwise on just about every computer. To properly turn it off is to use the Start menu. The quick way is to use the on/off button manually. On my Dell Inspiron

9400 there are two buttons, one for Media Direct, another for on/off located just above the keyboard.
Reply to
Jangchub

This is funny. The tree shmexpert loves to post his long list of tree instructions for people to read. But, it's been 4 days since the shmexpert posted this computer question, and he has yet to read the instructions available to him for understanding Vista.

Read and puke. I fear this situation will get worse:

JoeSpareBedroom

I didn't have to read the whole article because I've been saying this same thing for years now. You go into a theater waiting for the show to start and people are so dependant on constant stimulation they are either on their phones, playing on their phones, watching television on their phones, typing on their phones, surfing the web on their phones, or talking incessantly. There is virtually no down time, yet, there is not much production either. It's a vast wasteland of business and motor movements which do not really require the skills of self entertainment. Mostly mindless blather provided to the XBox land of killing images and sexually inappropriate ideas.

When I was a kid, an only child, I'd play for hours and hours alone with my Give A Show Projector, Barbie dolls with home made (by me) houses or accessories. Now you go buy Barbie Hummers and houses. I played with tinker toys, erector sets, Etch a Sketch, and my favorite Flintstone Building Blocks.

When it snowed we'd be out in it from morning till night, frozen. We'd build forts, and snowmen and run around in it, throw snowballs at everything, laugh and play. Mindless playing with actual fun. Today kids have so much stress being busy doing nothing they need medications to keep their legs from moving at night! I know someone who couldn't stand their son moving his leg from nervousness, so they finally got their ADD diagnosis and put him on Ritalin (sp?) and as a side effect he stopped growing. His teeth couldn't fit in his stunted mouth and he needed to wear this incredibly disgusting stretching device. Still, he is only about a bear five foot and by now he is about 14 or so? I left that friend in the dust for all sorts of reasons, but mainly for being a lunatic.

Oh, then there were very long days in summer when we'd ride our bikes which had foot brakes and no gears for hours and hours. Our parents had to drag us inside when it got dark around nine thirty at night. Those were the days when parents actually did things with kids. We'd go to the fireworks every Tuesday night at Coney Island and have a Nathan's hot dog, go on the Bobsled ride and ride the horses around the track at Steeplechase (long gone now).

So, I don't need an article to see how far down this country has gone and what is being produced in our sorely lacking elementary school systems and the rates they pay teachers is so retched nobody of any mind is taking a teaching position that fast any more. It used to be a great job. No more. Sad really.

None of this applies to those of you who are actively involved in your children's' lives. I applaud anyone who even has kids these days.

Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

Vista has a help section that would give pertinent information if you looked there.

Basically, the system comes with the start butt> I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the start

Reply to
Not

None are so blind as those who will not see.

JSB, thanks for the observation and the read.

Reply to
Billy

That is an extremely bad suggestion. Vista is always doing something in the background and not going through the proper shutdown procedure could result in corrupt files and/or lost data.

This site:

has some information on creating a shortcut to shutdown Vista.

Reply to
Bill R

The kid will likely have a growth spurt shortly--they discovered a while back that one of the side effects of ADHD is that the teenage growth spurt is delayed, regardless of whether the kid is medicated. OTOH, Ritalin wouldn't be the right med for moving legs at night, which is called "Restless Leg Syndrome" and which among others Ingmar Bergman had (no cite--saw him say it to Dick Cavett in an interview)--he was Swedish and this would have been the '60s or early '70s and he apparently had had it for a long time, so I don't think that one can blame it on anything unique to modern Amercan society. In any case stimulants are not normally used for its treatment.

Teaching has never been "a great job". Them as can, do; them as can't, teach. And the pay in Connecticut is hardly "wretched". at an average of 56K a year. Is New York that much lower?

Reply to
J. Clarke

The moron wouldn't listen to any of the good ones. If he didn't like that one I was going to suggest that he shoot it.

has some information on creating a shortcut to shutdown Vista.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Upgrading an old computer to Vista is not a wise thing to do.

Reply to
Travis

Push the power button on the computer and hold it in until it shuts down.

Reply to
Travis

Pretty much same/similar experiences here. No, not a Barbie doll guy.

My perception is that children are guided by their peers, not their parents. TV and their peers require certain stuff for children to be fulfilled, if you will. Thereby, deem it a necessity. Their parents consent to all the accessories you mention, plus others not mentioned. Thus, the child's peers guide their parents.

Parents should actively guide their children. Spending alot of time with them playing video games, watching the latest DVD or pay-for movie, and such is not active involvement. Not saying you intended to communicate contrary to that, but, that others do not perceive that notion.

Having a child is a result of performing a bodily function. Promoted by hormones and personal perceptions of the partner. Then, as now, teens still get pregnant, and have children. I would hardly applaud that. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

No. Its a question that comes up from time to time on every windows system. The user doesn't want to "waste" time clicking the double sequence of icons to effect a shutdown of the PC. One double click on a desktop icon shortcut is what he's asking for. And, to boot, he's asking for someone else.

Anal, yes. Users still ask for it from time to time irregardless.

Reply to
Dioclese

Actually, under Vista a quick tap of it should do an orderly shutdown.

Reply to
J. Clarke