computer question 2

On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all. Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve email but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages. We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue? Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

Reply to
symplastless

I have no clue. The newsgroup "microsoft.public.windows.vista.general" should have people that are better at solving vista computer problems than "rec.gardens".

Dan the mac-computer expert.

Reply to
Dan L.

Ouch ;-)

Reply to
Steve

"symplastless" expounded:

Have you allowed your web browser to access the internet? It may be the firewall has a setting where you allow whatever program to access. Check the help file with Norton and see.

Reply to
Ann

Why are you using Norton antivirus when Comcast gives you McAfee for free as part of the package and you have to pay for Norton? Also when I got new computer with Vista, IE was extremely slow. Not sure why but Firefox is much better.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote in news:eIudnVjrkNAk8VjanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

because IE sucks. firefox *is* much better. lee

Reply to
enigma

That makes too much sense, Dan.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And Firefox 2 is even better and MUCH more secure than Microsoft IE.

Reply to
Bill R

There's nothing wrong with the Firewall, or the computer. The Internet is just offline.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

You wouldn't get email if the Internet owas offline. Your setting is too high priority and your anti virus is preventing you from accessing the WWW. I hate Norton and use the free version of AVG.

Also, why ask a gardening group this question? There are no computer newsgroups on Usenet?

Reply to
Jangchub

This is the second time he's asked a computer question here, even though there are plenty of computer newsgroups, including those run by Microsoft, where he could get a perfect response in half a day at the most.

But, he asks the questions here because he thinks it'll somehow distract us from his disorder.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting

Mulching -
Pruning
Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
Farming and Related Problems
in the Rhizosphere

Dioclese

:-) You just won a virtual beer. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sorry I hit the wrong sig. After being told we had to reformat and reinstall, which I was willing to return computer rather than that, we found out that the iexporer.exe file in the firewall settings was corrupt. I removed it and reinstalled it and all is well.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
symplastless

What are you crazy. Sorry I thought you might have a solution. My mistake and my disorder.

Reply to
symplastless

Many computer problems can be solved by posting in a computer newsgroup. Now, go do something useful. Clean the lint trap in your head.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was being facetious. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

John is kinda like that clinging girl/boy that we all went out with, once. He wouldn't be so bad if he didn't cling so much, but he does. He can't leave us alone or figure out when his knowledge would be helpful. Not that his cut and paste interactions are all that satisfying. He doesn't seem to be a malicious guy, just clueless, with no interpersonal skills, at all.

Think I'll help myself to one of your virtual beers:-)

Reply to
Billy

My car won't start, but it turns over and makes a ticking noise. What should I do?

Reply to
Jangchub

rec.food.cooking, you knucklehead!

Reply to