Compare Prices on Garden Supplies CAREFULLY

Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.

I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and took a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left the sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12 miles away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.

That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92% CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

Reply to
David E. Ross

How much is a gallon of gas these days in California?

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Along the route I drove, I could get gas at $2.599 per gallon. Since I used less than a gallon round-trip, my savings on my purchase of gypsum was greater than the cost of gas. Oh, and I also bought some ranunculus tubers at the nursery, which I would not have bought at the hardware store.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Same thing happened to me last year with limestone. K-Mart price was about 4X higher than Lowes.

BTW, since some one asked gas price, it is down below $2/gal here in Delaware.

Reply to
Frank

I think it's going to cross that line in Taxachussetts this week--it was

2.00&9/10 Friday. Funny, it's about 20 cents cheaper there than in CT.
Reply to
J. Clarke

CT has no income tax. The monies have to come from somewhere.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

What century do you live in? CT has higher income tax than MA, and has since the reign of Lowell the Last.

Reply to
J. Clarke

By golly, I stand corrected. Been a long time since I checked, which was donkey years ago, when I was debating the move from NY to CT vs NJ.

Reply to
Boron Elgar