Common Grape Hyacinth

I have an beautiful patch of grape hyacinths. Do I cut back the leaves like your do with tulips or daffidils?

Reply to
higgledy

Yes - after they're yellowed & ugly. If you can't stand the ugliness, plant some bushy annuals in front of them.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks. When can I dig them up and split them?

Reply to
higgledy

There's no need to do that. They'll spread on their own. They know what they're doing. If you want more, buy more in September.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I do that when the leaves turn yellow and start to die down. I've also moved shovel fulls before that and all lived, but they weren't divided. Clumps were moved from one part of the yard to another.

Reply to
Roan Martin

Be very careful. Newly formed bulbs can be quite small. They are easily dropped and scattered into areas where you don't want them.

Reply to
David E. Ross

NO! Leave them alone!

And you never cut leaves off of tulips and daffs.

If you mean flower stalks then yes you can cut those off.

Reply to
Tom Randy