edible grape leaves

hey all -

my girlfriend makes a Greek dish with grape leaves - it's absolutely incredible. She and I would like to know what type of grape leaves are used to produce the pickled grape leaves we buy at the grocery and whether the grapes growing native in our area (northeastern Georgia) are suitable for consumption. Also, if I find or grow edible grape leaves, how do I prepare them?

thanks!

Reply to
Norm Leonard

Any grape leaves will do.

in NE GA.

John!

Norm Le> hey all -

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Not sure about Muscadine grape leaves... Are they edible? They are awfully fuzzy! I have some concord grapes and green grape leaves that will work if I can ever get them going, but have _tons_ of the wild grapes.

???????????

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I just take them off of the vine. If they have a thick stem toward the base I cut that out. Blanch them in salted water and immediately shock them in ice water and you're good to go.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Other than being small, they should work.

John!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Hi All, You can all so make wine out of grape leaves, called folly.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
rmwatkin

Use only sortiment which wasn't treated with chemicals (pesticides), if it is treated it is full of poison.

Reply to
Powerless Agronomist