Chipmunks or moles?

My yard is becoming overrun. I'm mowing the lawn, take a step, and squish I sink a few inches or more into a hole. At least once I sunk deep enough to reveal a junction of several tunnels, all burrowing pretty deeply.

First question is whether this is chipmunks or moles. The holes in the front hard are big enough that I would fit maybe 3-4 fingers down one if I tried. When I fill them they are always dug out the next day. Just last night I saw a pair of eyes and a nose looking back at me but couldn't tell what it was.

In the back yard, though, there are much smaller holes, like maybe 1 finger sized. These don't seem to be nearly the same problem. The front yard is beginning to look like a minefield.

What are my options? I figure that I can leave it and just keep filling them, which is not only annoying but also dangerous since I'm never sure how deeply I'm going to sink. A second option is a some sort of repellant to make them take a hike...but probably into my neighbors' yards. Third I could smoke em to death, but I'd really rather not do that.

Options? Is there a way to get them to stop digging in my yard in such a way that they don't just come back again next week? Without killing them, preferably?

Reply to
Duane Morin

i don't know what kind of mole i have, but after we finished the terracing of the back yard, it was a really busy little camper! Then it settled down and confines itself pretty much to the south end of the area. there are castor beans in the north west upper terrace and it/they don't mess around there seemingly, but a few tunnels have been noted in the south and south west side. really no problem. Granny Lee

Reply to
Lee

I pour about a cup full of ammonia water in te ho;e and I cover it up/ They do not seem to like to open that hole ever again

Reply to
Edwin Kalat

Just an update, I've actually seen chipmunks coming out of the biggest, newest hole in the front yard. In case that changes my options.

Duane

Reply to
Duane Morin

Good idea... I will try it. They may be cute, but they are tireless destroyers of patios, walls, garden beds, etc. The also reproduce like mad. I trapped and release (far, far away across the interstate)

24 so far this year... and they are still around. Maybe I need a cat. To me, they are a rat with a stripe.

Gnome

Reply to
Garden Gnome

Chippers are pretty radically diurnal so I'm surprised you didn't see them immediately. Here's a wee article, "Landscaping with Chipmunks":

paghat