Chinese Tallow Tree

I have a stray Chinese Tallow tree growing too close to the house. I love the 2 trees that are further out on my property, and would like to transplant this one farther out if possible. Anybody ever dug one up and transplanted it? Sure hate to just cut it down, because for some reason, hummingbirds are crazy about these trees, and they make good little shade trees too:)

Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

In Texas, they are listed as an invasive species (they take over where ever there is lots of water and shade everything else out, then their many many seeds float down the watershed and start all over again)...so we try to cut them down and plant something else.

Here's a Pacific Islands Ecosystem at Risk site:

's an excerpt from USDA:

========= begin excerpt ========= Noxious Weed Information: Triadica sebifera (L.) Small

---------- One or more synonyms of this plant are listed as noxious weeds by the U. S. federal government or a state, and may be known by various common names in different places. Listed synonyms are italicized and indented below. Click on a place name to get a complete noxious weed list for that location. Florida: Sapium sebiferum (L.) Roxb. Chinese tallow tree Noxious weed Louisiana: Sapium sebiferum (L.) Roxb. Chinese tallow tree Noxious weed Texas: Sapium sebiferum (L.) Roxb. Chinese tallow tree Noxious plant

========= end excerpt ========= source:

it has two scientific names btw...

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I've personally seen it colonize half-acres from Lake Travis in Austin to west Galveston Island and everywhere in between...so I pipe up on the occassion someone says something good about it...and just about any plant that is red in color will draw hummers - I have a potted 7' Japanese Red Maple that routinely has differing pairs of hummers fighting over it even though it has not a single flower!

John

Reply to
John T. Jarrett

Hi John,

I live in East Texas, and I've read all the stuff about it being an invasive tree. But I like the way my 2 look, and so far, they haven't taken over my land, so I'm not planning on cutting them down. As far as the one that I want to transplant...we'll see....it may be a bigger task than I have time for right now:)

Thanks for the heads up though:)

Angie

Reply to
4StarDayDream

Oh, they transplant very well. Easily come out by cutting the base and moving it.

Reply to
escapee