Can I cut this plant back?

This pic

a plant I was given. It is so leggy that I can't support it with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

For identification, take the plant to a nearby nursery (not a hardware store or lumber yard). If you don't want to move it, take more photos from different angles.

The problem is that some plants do not do well when cut back. With many conifers, the entire branch might die back to its base if it is cut such that no live foliage remains. With salvia relatives (e.g., sage, rosemary, lavender), the entire branch will definitely die to its base in this case.

Other plants seem to sprout new growth whenever cut back severely. New growth buds are obvious on roses but not at all obvious on holly, raphiolepis, myrtle, or eugenia. All of these seem to be rejuvenated by severe cutting, even when no live foliage remains.

Thus, before cutting, you really need to know what the plant is. From your photo, it does not look familiar to me.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Can't tell what it is from the photo. It would help to know where you are in the world, too.

But consider trying air layering or simple layering on this plant... these are generally ways that if it works, fine, and if it doesn't work, you haven't really done anything to irrevocable to the plant.

Kay Lancaster

Looks like a euphorbia var.,maybe a fire glow or a rigida,if so watch out for the sap, can be caustic to some. But as always verify, then look up pruning, this one should be ok to prune, but I would repot the first year instead, looks neglicted. use a lighter, fluffier mix , if you don't know how to root prune just change the soil, not a lot of fertilizer, leave for this year, the newer shoots in the center Easy to propagate, put that stem you broke on the right in a glass of water, or a loose soil mix. Kay's recommendation for layering is spot on target

Reply to
Gunner

On Jan 24, 6:00=A0pm, Higgs Boson wrote:.

Might be a euphoria variety , say a rigida. If so, it cleans up easy & easy to propragate, take the one on the right you snapped off on and put it into a glass of water, roots fairly quickly. A good seedling mix will work also if you pay attention to the moisture. Be cautious of the sap. Repot the poor thing with a well draining mix w/ alittle N. Google images for euphoria rigida, gopher plant for detail info

Reply to
Gunner

Oops - my bad - I usually specify So. Calif Coastal.

Have never done this. Will have to study up on technique.

TX

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

OK, someone said the pic wasn't good enough, so will this give the NG a better ID on the plant?

I plant it deep? Or cut off the top & hope more will grow out of stem? Or cut off roots and hope what's left will root? I don't want to bother with layering

TIA

HN.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Which plant are you refering to, I see at least three.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

It's the one on the right, which I leaned up against a trunk to make it more visible. There are several of this plant, all temporarily housed in a large pot.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

grown Kalanchoe pinnata, air plant, an invasive.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster