Cactus Question

Years ago I bought a little cactus, it was labeled Cereus peruvianus, which I believe is no longer a valid name.

It grew well, until neighbor kids hacked it up. The top died, two shoots came out from the side, and they are now two and three ft. long. The plant is under potted, ugly, and I would like to do something with it.

I am thinking to cut off the new shoots, let them dry and callus, then replant them.

My question, how much of the existing green shoot should I plant under toe soil surface to give the plant some stability?

Thanks

Reply to
Charles

The neighbor's kids attacked one of your plants???? How old were these monsters, and how come you haven't hacked THEM up and made them into soup?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi Charles, Gosh, that's awful. Is this your cactus?

folks should be able to tell you how deep to plant.
luck, New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Mine may be a different kind. The first URL says that C. p. has 6 to

8 ribs, the plant I have has only 4.

It's never bloomed, or done anything except grow bigger, so no real way to identify it.

Reply to
Charles

Charles,

Take a look at this one. It may be your cactus if it has 4 ribs Cereus 'tetragonus' - Fairy Castles

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Might be, but mine was a single column, never branched or clustered until it was damaged, then only two branches near the top, where the injury occurred.

Reply to
Charles

Well, I tried! Hope those folks at Garden Web can help you.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Yes, you did, and I thank you for the effort.

I'm not so concerned about what it is, as I am what to do with it.

I'm going to take it to a place locally where they grow cactus, ask them.

Again, thanks.

Reply to
Charles