Spineless edible cactus?

I was reading online about a variety of edible cactus (Opuntia ficus-indica, cultivar 1308) that is spineless. It was developed at Texas A&M University @ Kingsville, or so I read.

Anyone know where (or if) this type can be purchased? Alternatively, know of any other edible cacti that are totally spineless (including glochids)?

Thanks,

Jarrad

Reply to
TEX-EX

The nursery "It's About Thyme" in Austin has them, and I have one growing here. :-)

I could callus off a couple of pads for you if you want to try cutting propagation.

It's basically a spineless prickly pear.

Cheers!

Reply to
Katra

Katra,

If you have "pads to spare", that would be nice (I would gladly pay for shipping) -- but I am up here in Iowa. Oddly enough, I am from Austin; so I always have the option of trying to pick one up at "It's About Thyme" when I am down for a visit.

Have you tried / had success from cuttings with Opuntia? I only have tried with hot peppers, which eventually root with some TLC indoors.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jarrad

Reply to
TEX-EX

Shipping a couple of callused pads would not be a problem. :-) I have mailed callused T. pachanoi to England and it not only survived, it's thriving.....

Propagating fleshy cacti from pads/cuttings is much easier than propagating woody perennials! I'll dunk the base in rooting compound and anti-fungal powder before laying it aside for the wound to dry and callus for a week. That is how I treat my Trichocereus, and yes, I have propagated prickly pears from pads. It usually works out pretty well! I can pull 2 or 3 medium sized pads for you. My plant is not very large yet but it has created a lot of new pads this year. It's in a pot and I should probably move it to a larger one.

While this particular species is new to me, I HAVE propagated regular spiny prickly pear from pads. It's QED. I have also done numerous cuttings with a 100% survival rate of Trichocereus sp.

$4.15 would cover the priority shipping plus paypal fees, or $3.85 if you want to send an MO or check. E-mail me at katra at centurytel dot net for addresses. :-)

Once I cut the pads, they should callus for at least 2 weeks prior to planting. A good cactus mix is 1/3 miracle grow potting mix, 1/3 limestone sand and 1/3 pearlite. That is also the mix I've used to grow cactus from seed.

-
Reply to
Katra

Katra,

Sounds great. I will try to do something (paypal or email and "cut a check") tommorrow.

Jarrad

Reply to
TEX-EX

Got your e-mail, will go cut pads here shortly. :-)

Cheers! Kat

Reply to
Katra