Bummed - what the heck happened

Potted up a small container (coir lined basket actually) with a sun tolerant coleus, a million bells and some zinnias (the colors worked) late last week.

They looked fine until Monday when the heat wave really hit - now they are crisped to less than an inch of their lives. I figure they're a goner, but the only thing different is I used some soil out of a potted hosta that I was dividing instead of fresh....

Any thoughts - just succumbed to the heat so soon after transplant?

Thanks gang... C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Ack! Cheryl, I hate to hear that! While I don't have any tips or ideas really, I did just go through the same thing! I received some of those coir lined planters that hang over the railings on the front porch for Mother's Day. Planted several different "sun" plants in them as well as some seeds from a friends collection of various flowers. Everything was growing and doing really well until this heat wave kicked in and the heat index started staying around 102 everyday for about week...now they are all toasted! Made me sick to my stomach as it seemed they all "died" on the same day! Of course the sickness coulda just came from the pregnancy though...lol!

Sorry for you loss of plants...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully mine will still bounce back. Maybe your's will too!

~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Hello?? You have a bit o' news for us, Rae? ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Oh Charlie, was I not clear enough for ya? lol! Actually, I thought I had mentioned it before...

Baby #3 should be an early-mid December baby...just in time to be here before Christmas!

Take care, I'm off to bed!

~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

I would say that is what happened....heat stroke.

I can't see that the potting soil had any effect. I reuse potting soil and have had no ill effects.

I would give 'em some shade and cool, if possible, and keep moist and misted, but they are likely going to be set back.

Several weeks ago, the plant manager at the grocery store (everyone is selling plants) gave me several flats of six inch potted plants that had been mostly fried, as you describe, japanese anemone and tickseed, and they are now looking good. I kept them watered, pinched off all the damage, several nearly to their crowns, and fed them compost tea and fish emulsion and they are now thriving.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

That hubby of yours isn't spending all of his time on the tractor;-) Congratulations:o)

Reply to
Billy

Thanks, Billy. This probably happened right before they got busy planting corn if timing is counted right. And yes, he is definitely spending all his time on the tractor now! Have to have that extra $$ for coming baby expenses! Of course, whether it be boy or girl, there will not be a need to buy clothes, seeing as how we already have a boy and a girl, and I was smart enough to save all their clothes! And too, using cloth diapers cuts down on costs too!

We planted a much bigger garden this year, so I'll be putting up just as much food as I can to help also!

Sorry to Cheryl for "taking over " her topic! ~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson