Upside Down Tomatoes in Paint Buckets is a Bust!

I followed all the directions of various people on the Internet and tried growing tomatoes in 5 gal plastic buckets. In every case the plants grew and when the flowers appeared they wilted and died. I saved one by transplanting in a garden.

Reply to
Mark21286

weird. any idea why? dehydrated?

They need to be watered every day, sometimes in my area of Texas I water container plants twice a day. Also, if you hung the things in the sun, the soil may have heated to over 120 degrees.

Reply to
Jangchub

that is sad. what type of tomatoes are your growing and what is your gardening zone. some it could be overwatering, the fertilizer you are using, good sun and also pruning. all l know is that upside down tomato does produces the best fruits

Reply to
mor

Indeed. This is the downside to container gardening, if you consider twice daily interaction with your plants to be a downer. I don't. On occasion, I have had to water thrice daily, during periods with hot dry winds, then the plants were large and producing. It is an art form, is it not?

What you say is very important, that of keeping the container shaded and cool. I do this by using light colored pots and tiering smaller pots in front of them, or adding draping plants or allowing part of the plant, as in cherry maters, to hang down over the pot.

I have given up on hanging containers, either flower or fruit. Too much stress on the plants during hot winds.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

The majority of large containers have brugmansia's in them. I rooted cuttings at the beginning of last spring, then overwintered them in greenhouse conditions and now the are in five gallon containers. I should be able to sell the to the nursery for at least 100 dollars each by the end of the summer. If I overwinter then and et them over six foot tall, I can get double that. The wholesale nursery buys them for high end landscape projects.

As for vegetables, hanging them is fine if watered properly and I think wrapping the container with aluminum foil to reflect the light off may also help. While it is a great method, it may not be the best method for southern gardeners in the US.

Reply to
Jangchub